Nor Sleet Nor Snow

on Tuesday, February 16, 2010


Last week, my wife found herself in New York after a two week working road-trip that saw her travel from Asia to Europe and finally to America. We were looking forward to her returning on a Wednesday evening flight from JFK Airport which would bring her back home just in time for the traditional family re-union dinner on the eve of the Chinese New Year.

On Wednesday morning in Kuala Lumpur (9 pm at night in New York), my wife called and gave me the disappointing news that she might not be able to come back as scheduled. Earlier that week, New York had already been hit by a blizzard which resulted in all the airports being closed for three days. Now, barely two days later, another blizzard was rolling in. My wife's flight was scheduled for 9pm that day but the problem was that the snow storm was expected to roar in at noon. The travel agents and the airports were predicting that no flights would make it out that night.

Even worse, even if my wife could get on a flight the day after or the following days, she would be stranded in Singapore because all the flights from Singapore to Malaysia were fully booked for people traveling home for the Chinese New Year. There seemed noway that she would be spending the Chinese New Year holidays with me. Very depressing news indeed.

Anyway, later that day, it happened to be my weekly bible study group day and I shared the situation with them and challenged them to pray with me for something that if not impossible, seemed to be most improbable; that God would somehow get my wife home for the holidays. That was at 8 am New York time and a phone call from my wife confirmed that the snow was already falling and New York was under a blanket of white. The storm was still expected to peak in another 4 hours and her flight still a distant 13 hours away. The airports still were prediting cancellations.

Well, having committed the matter to God, I went to sleep and woke up the next day to find an exciting SMS on my handphone from my wife. Her flight was in the air and she was on her way back. Hallelujah!

It later turns out that Newark and LaGuardia airports were closed by the storm. JFK Airport remained open but one by one the flights were cancelled. Somehow, her Singapore Airlines flight was boarded, spent three hours de-icing on the runway but finally took off. It was to be the ONLY flight to leave that night.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. God is the best travel agent there is. Happy Chinese New Year! May great things roar in for you this Year of the Tiger!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I am glad that your wife made it home in time!!! Betty

Anonymous said...

Well, Happy New Year to you and I'm glad your wife was able to make it home safe and sound!

Joyce's Ramblings said...

The power of prayer is proven again. Glad that you could be together at the start of the New Year. The impossible is possible with God. Enjoy being together again!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Pleased to know your wife arrived home safe and sound.

Take care.
Yvonne.

Lorac said...

Wonderful! The happiest of New Years to you both!

molly said...

I'm so glad you got The Man Above on your side! Hope you had a very happy holiday together!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, LGS! May it be good to You and all Your Family!

Sincerity said...

That's awesome! God is soooo good! And I'm happy that she had a safe trip even with all the winter weather!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

that is great news!!

the walking man said...

One must come to respect the power of faith. the best part of you was trusting and going to sleep allowing that faith to work. Well said story LGS.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Thanks All. God is good.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin