White Surprise

on Friday, November 17, 2006

I was feeling whimsical tonight and was just reflecting on a "few of my favourite things". When quite suddenly, I had an epiphany. I realized that I have a strong preference for things "white" when it comes to food.

Pure Vanilla Ice Cream
Now it cannot be denied that I enjoy almost any food in any colour but if I were to try to give myself a sensual treat, then most of the things I desire are all white. I started with contemplating my favourite ice cream flavour - vanilla, of course. Chocolate is nice. I even like sherbets very much but vanilla is king for ice cream. I always thought that this reflected my predilection to purity; that ice cream was meant to be a pure clean flavor like vanilla and that all other flavors just distract from perfection. At least in this, I have chosen the top flavor which is also the top choice of 29% of the population (see http://www.sendicecream.com/15mospopicec.html).


"Tau Foo Fah" or Soya Bean Curd
served with ginger and pandan flavored syrup

But "white" continues to dominate my other favourite sensual or comfort foods; full cream milk, Ambrosia rice pudding, soya bean curd and soya bean milk. I prefer white chocolate to milk and mocha or dark chocolate flavors. I even discovered while in Spain, a wonderful white, milky drink made from the puree of tiger nuts called Horcata which is served chilled and is wonderfully refreshing with a hint of volatile, aromatic oils.


When Malaysians are abroad, they often miss local foods such as nasi lemak, roti canai, maggi mee noodles and various curries. Strangely, the thing I missed most was soya bean milk. When I had the opportunity to visit Chinatown abroad, I would frequently end up with several liters of the cool white soya bean milk.

I don't have an explanation. Do you? Strangely enough, according to Dr. Alan Hirsch, vanilla lovers are colourful, impulsive, risk takers with high goals and expectations. It seems I am gregarious, easily suggestible, expressive, idealistic and private person. I don't know, Dr. Hirsch, I do not quite recognise myself in that description. If you want to know what Dr. Hirsch thinks of your ice cream flavor choice, then visit http://www.personalityquiz.net/test/icecream.htm

2 comments:

StayAtHomeKat said...

Vanilla rules.

Thank you for your visit and kind words.

Did you know this? Atlanta is the center of the Grey Squirrel Universe.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I did not think of it before but you are absolutely right about Atlanta being the center of the grey Squirrel Universe.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin