My First!

on Saturday, November 22, 2008

This post is about my first, my very first .............. stuffed toy. What did you think it was going to be about? I have quite a collection of stuffed toys and toy figurines which were all given to me by friends and loved ones. For some reason, I got a reputation of being a stuffed toy collector and the toys kept coming.

My wife is also a collector and of course, I have contributed to her collection as well. If you could see our bedroom, you will find her menagerie neatly arranged next to her side of the bed and mine in a playful jumble on my side.

My reputation for stuffed toys started with a few which came as gifts from close friends and took off from there. My very first one was very special as it was hand made by my girlfriend, Julie, at that time. Although it has seen better days and is a little tattered, it still holds a lot of sentimental value for me.



This picture which was uncovered from a current archeological dig, shows a very much younger me posing with the stuffed animal perched on my shoulder. I was a student living in University accommodation at Chelsea College, London, England. This photo is very important for two reasons. One, it shows the object of the post today and two, it is scientific proof that I was skinny once!

Anyway, if you have not already guessed, the animal on my shoulder is a penguin. No ordinary penguin, mind you! He goes by the grand name of Oliver Noona-Nanook of the North. He was dubbed "Oliver" in remembrance of a trip that Julie and I had shared on a boat named the "Cromwell". I am sure most of you would know about Oliver Cromwell from English history. "Nanook of the North" was actually the world's first full length documentary and was about an Inuit and his family in the Canadian artic and was filmed in 1922. It was just a way in my crazy mind to link the poor little chap to his frozen northern heritage. Finally, "Noona" was just added as it sounded like a nice accompaniment to "Nanook". Also, my friend, Helen the Greek Goddess, told me it was a term of endearment in Greek. While she was not always the best source for reliable information, I used it anyway.

And so, Oliver Noona-Nanook of the North was christened. Needless to say, it did not take long for him to be called by the shorter pet name of "Ollie". So he became, Ollie the penguin.

Over the years, I have also had "Cedric the Snake" (cause bureaucrats are snakes and Cedric sounds like a bureaucrat's name)and Tubby (the cap wearing rabbit-bear thingey, on account of his pot-belly, just to name a couple.

My wife's collection is much larger but two recent acquirements were a couple of bears dressed in the style of the Roaring Twenties which she got on special offer at Starbucks. Very imaginatively, she named the female bear, "Starr" and the male bear, "Bucks".

What strange animals cuddle next to you in your sleep? .....And please no jokes at the expense of your spouses.

12 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

No stuffed animals LGS but a real live fluffy white dog shares my bed - actually takes over my bed would be more correct :)
I once owned a beautifully created white tiger - so real looking, soft and pliable that some would not sit on the couch on which he adorned the top.
PS:Loved your comment this morning too!

Dr.John said...

No stuffed animals here except for a couple of dragons. But I have lots and lots of dragons.

MedStudentWife said...

of the various stuffed animals that I still have, I have "Buffalowy", a stuffed toy buffalo from when I was before 5 years of age.

geewits said...

I rotate my favorites. Last year it was Snoopy and this year it's the pony. I may have once named the pony but forgot his name. My reason for sleeping with a stuffed animal is to put it between my arms. Otherwise I sleep in some stupid manner that causes my hands to go to sleep and because I am so hot-natured I can not sleep with a stuffed animal in the summer and I miss a lot of phone calls (because my hands are asleep).

Marja said...

Nice picture. What a great name for a puinguin I couldn't have thought of it. I haven't got any stuffed animals but my kids have lots

Anonymous said...

it's a penguin...how cool is that! (I couldn't see the picture yesterday for some reason) my boss is really into penguins. never been into stuffed toys except very briefly as a pre-teen. I do enjoy my very real kitties though. :)

VioletSky said...

I have a home made bunny wearing gingham dungarees made for me when I was a baby by a neighbour. When I turned 18 she made a replacement in the same material but with different patterned dungarees. Both are well worn and sit on the bookshelf.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice,
Currently a white dog and previously a white tiger.....there's a pattern there somewhere!

Dr.John,
Is there a favorite dragon?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

msw,
Please to meet Buffalowy. He sounds much loved.

geewits,
I have a Snoopy too. I also understand what you mean about the hands as I am like that as well but I use a pillow instead of a stuffed toy. My stuffed toys belong to a Union and frown on being used that way.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

marja,
All it takes is one and your collection will grow.....it is like coat hangers in the cupboard.

cabcree,
I can understand why you prefer your live kitties but then I never have to change Ollie's kitty litter. :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

violetsky,
Dungaree Bunnies! They must be quite special. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, look at you looking all young and tender!

I had a stuffed frog all through my childhood. Now, just the strange animal I call my boyfriend (I'm exempt from your warning, because he's not actually a spouse.)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin