Squirrel's Secret Spot 13: Sagrada Familia

on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This post was meant to be my second post about Barcelona, Spain but I reconsidered because the Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família deserves to be part of the Squirrel's Secret Spot series (for the others, look for "Secret Spots" in my topics panel on the right column). I have been fortunate to visit this place twice and would love to visit again in another 5 years or so as it gets closer to completion. Yes, this cathedral which began construction in 1882 is still an on-going work.

More commonly called the Sagrada Familia, it was designed to be the Temple of the Holy Family. The main architect which has been responsible for the vision and design which is Sagrada Familia was the eccentric genius, Antoni Gaudi (1852-1926). He worked on the project for 40 years and most of the design which is being carried out even today is based on his drawing and plans. The current director for the project, Jordi Bonet i Armengol, has introduced computers to help with the design and construction work since 1980. While this has sped up the work, it has made for cleaner modernistic lines which while are beautiful in their own way, cannot compare with the original work of art which was Gaudi's work. This can be clearly seen by comparing the wonderfully complex and creative Nativity facade by Gaudi and the more modern interpretation as represented by the Passion facade.

In my opinion, this should be on the list of modern Wonders of the World. This was obviously the ultimate work of a passionate and visionary artist. When I look at it I am awestruck and find it difficult to take in all the creativity, craftsmanship and symbolism. Parts of the building seem almost organic in nature; like a living growing organism. Some parts resemble giant works of sculpture rather than a functioning building. This monument in worship of God is truly awesome.

The only way to really enjoy this building is to visit it yourself. I hope you will have that opportunity to do so. For now, please enjoy my humble video.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, impressive, I saw some pretty amazing temples in Turkey, that remind me a bit of this one.

babbler said...

Happy year of the squirrel! Thanks for the video, it was great. I have been to this place in 1995, I was touring with a band on a Princes Cruise ship in the Med, we stopped at Barcelona and made a special trek over to see this very special place. I wanted to stay all day but we would have missed our ship leaving port. One day I will return. With my Mr. Slug. Love from Mrs. Slug!

Jo said...

That is beautiful...! I had no idea! The stained glass windows are the most gorgeous I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing that with us. Maybe one day ... I will get there!

Anonymous said...

An incredible building. I think it comes close to the idea of Gesamtkunstwerk.

viktorphilippe said...

Hi Lone but happy Grey but green S:

Can you give me copy (brief} of your occasional talks on the environment? Thanks very much if you do so. I've been to KL once and so we share the same timeline and hopefully the same line of thought on the environment.

squirrelmama said...

LGS, that is downright awe-inspiring and humbling. I cannot imagine what it feels like to be inside such a magnificent structure. Or....that's some squirrel nest!

Marja said...

Oh I so love it. This is on my wishlist He is one of my favourite architects. Another amazing one is Hundertwasser from Vienna

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cz,
I remember your photos of your trip to Turkey. That is on my wish list now.

babbler,
Thanks for the comment. How interesting that you were in a band on a cruise ship. It must have been an exciting experience. How long or how many cruises did you take part in? If you and Mr. Slug do get a chance, don't just visit the cathedral but make sure you get to enjoy the rest of Barcelona too. It rates as one of the top 10 cities to visit according to Lonely Planet.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Jo,
thanks. The building almost seems to be a living and growing organism. On the other hand, it seems to be a showcase for endless works of art. Either way....awesome.

Mago,
Yes, Gesamtkunstwerk is correct and also a study of nature.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

viktorphillipe,
Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I have posted a number of times on the environment which you can find under the environment tag on my right hand blog column.

The following post is an example of the work I am involved in:-
http://lonegreysquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/secret-squirrel-spot-4-ulu-geroh.html

You can also find out more by visiting http://www.mns.org.my/

Look forward to more of your visits. Have a good year.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

squirrelmama,
Haha....yes, that's some squirrel nest!

Marja,
Thanks. I am going to read up on Hundertwasser now.

StayAtHomeKat said...

amazing and wonderful place ---and video--- thank you for not keeping it so secret!

the walking man said...

A hundred a twenty years of construction...my!

I am curious although the video communicates the size of the temple I'm sure it doesn't do it adequately.

How much land does it sit on and how tall are the spires?

Janice Thomson said...

Wow, gasp and gulp! What an architectural delight. One would certainly be awed in the presence of this.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

kat,
I don't have your magic garden so I have to go further to find secret places to expose on my blog. :)

Mark,
you ask great questions which I actually had difficulty answering but best to my knowledge, the total area is 12,800 sq.m. and there are 18towers. The highest tower representing Christ is 170 m tall. There are three facades. Inside, the central nave is 45m high. Hope this helps.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice,
I had the same reaction.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin