A Zimbabwean Story

on Tuesday, September 29, 2009


It seems that Jo at A Majority of Two is in need of good cheer in the form of jokes. As a gentleman squirrel, I felt duty bound to respond.

Tonight, I would like to share with you a Zimbabwean joke which I recently learned from a Zimbabwean student friend which again features a particular problem in that country.

There is a city on the western mountains of Zimbabwe which is relatively prosperous but on one occassion, it had a terrible problem. All the monkeys from the surrounding mountains all came into the city and caused a great pandemonium. The Mayor called out the army and the police and they came out fully armed and bristling with guns, ready to cull the monkeys.

However, a staff of the National Wildlife Department intervened, saying that the monkeys were rare and endangered so they could not be shot. The Mayor did not know what to do, given those circumstance.

So the army and police were both milling around due to the lack of instructions when a man appeared, claiming he could talk to monkeys and could rid the city of the monkeys. The Mayor asked him to proceed.


The man went to the city centre and whistled and all the monkey gathered round him. He said something to them and the monkeys all turned to look at the police and army men and nodded their heads solemny. Then the monkeys began to disperse.


The man whistled and again the monkeys came round him. He said something else to the monkeys and this time the monkeys all broke up laughing until some were hysterically rolling on the floor.
Once again, the monkey began to disperse.

The man whistled and gathered them a third time. This time he said something and all the monkeys fled the city and returned to the mountains.


The Mayor was pleased and rewarded the man handsomely. The police chief however, stopped the man and insisted that the man explain what he had said to the monkeys.

The man said, "the first time, I called the monkeys together and told them that all the men with guns were soldiers and police and that their job was to uphold justice in the land. The monkeys then nodded in silent respect.


The second time I called the monkeys, I told the monkeys how much you were being paid to be the noble defenders of the law and they laughed.


The third time, I merely said that you had come to recruit them to join the army and police and that is why they all ran away!

26 comments:

Kathryn said...

Funny. I liked your jokes at Jo's blog, too.

I've new squirrel pics i'll post soon.

Dr.John said...

It would be funny if it wasn't for the truth carried in it and truth hurts.

Owen said...

Maybe squirrels would be better for police work... they are good at finding nuts, and burying them...?

the walking man said...

Funny...

Marja said...

LOL Smart cookies these monkeys They shouldn't move to NZ either The pay is a bit better but still .....
Hope all is fine with you LGS Greetings from NZ

secret agent woman said...

That's both cute and a little sad.

Steffi said...

Nice story!
Greetings !

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Kathryn,
Thanks. Glad it tickled you.

Dr. John,
The value of these types of jokes is that the situation already hurts, at least now we get a chance to laugh as well.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Owen,
I don't know what you mean? And I certainly know nothing about where they buried Jimmy Hoffa! I know nuttin'! :)

Mark,
Pity the monkeys.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Marja,
Hope you are well too.

secret agent woman,
Why is it sad? The monkeys got away! :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Steffi,
Thanks for visiting and thanks for the comment. Hope to see you around.

Ruth W. said...

hi, just thinking about you with all the earthquakes that are happening there.

Jo said...

LGS, you never fail to make me *giggle*. :-)

I haven't been visiting many blogs lately, because my eyes have been bothering me when I read on the computer. Time for new glasses.

Cheers!

Jo

Anonymous said...

Ruth,
I am well. I hope you are well too.The tragedies are in neighboring Indonesia but malaysia has been spared. Do pray for the victims though, they are only now reaching the remote areas and have already found three villages that were wiped out by landslides.

Jo,
I have been rather busy with this business of living and have not been posting or visiting regularly either. i don't think this current busy period will be over until November.

Anil P said...

A very nice story. There's a moral to it for modern times.

molly said...

Glad you are safe1 So sorry for your neighbours though....

Lorac said...

Very good! I enjoy a good joke!

Meggie said...

Very clever joke!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Hilarious!

Owen said...

!!! SNBF !!! (Squirrel News Blog Flash)

A squirrel has been sighted on a Norwegian blog... looking shifty...

http://norsknettfoto.blogspot.com/

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Anil,
Hi there. I was a frequent visitor at your blog sometime back until you seemed a bit too busy to post regularly. Glad to see you posting again.

Molly,
It seems that those that already have so little have again lost so much.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

lorac,
I know you like a good tale as you are so good at telling them on your blog.

Meggie,
Hope it brightened your day.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

ECD,
I am a sucker for monkey jokes.

Owen,
thanks for g alert! But I don't think "shifty" is the right word to describe the squirrel. I think perhaps......."unbelievably handsome" ....seems more appropriate.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

What a delightful story! I think I would tend to believe it even if I hadn't heard it from your trusted lips.

I LOVE monkeys, by the way.

Owen said...

I stand corrected... Of course all squirrels are unbelievable handsome, it goes with the territory... although perhaps it is possible that one could be unbelievably handsome and sometimes look shifty or even downright guilty, as in the look on one's face when caught digging up nuts from one's neighbors stash... thus violating that timeless squirrel tenet : Thou Shalst not covet thy neighbor's nuts...

Jo said...

LGS, where have you gone?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin