London Revisited: Omens

on Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dear friends,

Here I am with my first post of several about my trip to London. I studied there and graduated some 25 years ago and as one dear friend quipped, "Why, that's longer than the sentence that most people get sentenced for man-slaughter." Great. Such a sweet comparison.


As I mentioned in my last post, this trip was my first real opportunity to visit London and to meet some friends since then. Many of you would have perceived that I had mixed feelings about this trip; a mixture of excitement and apprehension about what changes I would find.


Interestingly, if you believe in omens, there were two signs that did in fact represent my experience and reinforced my mixed feelings. For the first part of my trip, I stayed at a hotel and then in the second part of the trip, in a self-service apartment.

The first omen, was this sign that greeted me as I stepped out of the lift before reaching my hotel room. It had a very foreboding message and reminded me of that famous phrase, "abandon all hope, all ye who enter here".
NO ESCAPE


Indeed I had a few bad experiences and disappointments in the first part of my trip but things did improve and I began to really enjoy myself in the second part. I was not surprised because I was uplifted by what I saw when I entered the lift at my self service apartment. The second omen was one of hope.

SCHINDLER'S LIFT



Lift - List. Get it? Schindler's Lift? Get it?

Now I don't believe in omens but I do believe in a God with a sense of humour leaving little messages for me. :)

8 comments:

VioletSky said...

Keep an open mind and an open eye.
And a camera!
Eagerly anticipating more stories.

Jo said...

Pictures...! Lots of pictures...!

And most of all -- have fun...!

Cheers,
Jo

geewits said...

You always remind me of the best stuff. In my freshman year in college I made a sign pointing into our dorm room that said:
"Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here" and I had drawn a picture of Peppermint Patty pointing the way. I still have that somewhere.

Schindler's Lift - I LOVE it. I can't wait to read all of your stories. I have been checking over here like a madman!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

VioletSky,
Open mind - check! Open eye - check! Camera - check! I am ready!

Jo,
Lots of Pictures - Check!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

geewits,
It does seem that our minds operate on some similar wavelength. I really like Peppermint Patty and used to draw her too proclaiming many wisecrack sayings. Glad you like "Schindler's Lift" - more evidence of our equally warped minds. :)

the walking man said...

Travel well, enjoy your reunions and savor the different nuts in England.

Sincerity said...

LOL! Cute. :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Mark,
I am happily partaking of the various nuts on offer - both human and non-human.

sincerity,
:)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin