Marching in March

on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

This post should probably have come out soon after the new year as the ceremony took place on the 1st of January (which is actually a little inconsiderate for those friends who had wanted to see in the new year by getting sloshed till the wee hours of the new year. Nevertheless, this couple chose to get married on the 01/01/10.

I procrastinated about posting on this until this month cause this is the month of March; the month of the mad March Hare and in the words of the Neil Sedaka song, "the month to march you down the aisle". In Malay, March is spelled "Mac". So on that flimsy excuse, I thought I would also showcase what fun my new Mac is by creating a short video. As a bonus to the curious, you get to hear the voice of yours truly narrating the video.

This video is of a Sikh or Punjabi wedding. Punjabis are actually an ethnic group originating from the Punjab area of India. Sikhs refer really to followers of the Sikhism or the Sikh religion. Most Sikhs are Punjabis. In Malaysia, the Punjabis have a reputation that they earned since the colonial period under the British, of being brave and trustworthy and had traditional careers in security and police.


16 comments:

molly said...

That was so interesting LGS! And so colourful.....Makes us look drab and dull! Great to hear your voice also. Thank you for furthering my education!

geewits said...

That was very interesting. Now that you've made something so cool, I hope we can expect more? And bravo to you for finally showing us a picture of yourself. You're quite dashing.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Very interesting write and I did like the photo.

Take care,

Yvonne.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

LGS-I enjoyed your educating me. I love to learn about different things through the computer. Since I would not get a chance to see it otherwise. I love the fact that you unable me to learn. I don't ever want to stop learning. I don't always understand the whys and wherefore of some people these days but I want to learn about them.

blackcrag said...

Very good singing, Squirrel! Your singing at the beginning that is. I'm not sure about the snipit you included from the wedding.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Molly,
They do like bright colors. Glad you liked it. Perhaps you could try on a sari for your next family gathering and wow them.

Geewits,
My fellow beer and Buffy loving friend, thank you for the compliment. This grey squirrel is turning red. Actually, I have sneaked in a couple of photos before but with out any fanfare, people might have just glanced over them. Anyway I still prefer to have my furry alter ego speak for me. Oh, and really, really, Mac is so cool.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Yvonne,
Thank you. We try to please.

Joyce,
Asia really is a treasure trove of cultures. I shall try to showcase them from time to time.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

blackcrag,
Thanks for the compliment about my singing. However, you were the only one of 5 commentors brave enough to mention it. On that alone, this squirrel knows he should not try out for American idol.

How have you been, man? I hope this year is turning out better for you. This Year of the Tiger is my year and I have made arrangements to send good days your way.

Jo said...

You have a great voice! Move over, Neil Sedaka. :-)

I have been invited to a Sikh wedding in April, and I am so excited...! There will be 500 people there, and I have never been to a Sikh wedding before. I absolutely love, love, love Indian music, so I'm hoping there will be a lot of it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Jo,
It was your post when you left us some voice messages that inspired me to do this. Only problem was, I didn't really know how .....until I got this Mac and it is so easy to do.

Enjoy your Sikh wedding but be warned that their sweets can be a real cardio-blocker

Anonymous said...

Great!
Great singing, great ceremony! I confess that at the first I wondered why St.Niclas was there until I realized that the bride was wearing the red festive gown. You ever thought about showbiz?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Mago,
You are too kind. I do not think I will leave my day job, as they say.

♥ Braja said...

That was typical and far out and entertaining :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Hi Braja,
thanks for leaving a comment. I think India is an amazing cultural treasure and am glad that in Malaysia it is relatively easy to get glimpses of it. But I guess you are surrounded by the culture each day. :)

MedStudentWife said...

Excellent LGS !!! You are so talented :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin