I Think It's a Thinking Blogger Award

on Saturday, March 24, 2007





What a pleasant surprise! I woke up this morning and while still bleary eyed, I switched on my computer and checked my blog ( normal obsessive behavior of a blog addict) and what did I find? I had been awarded a “Thinking Blogger Award” by csl.

My first thought was that I no longer had to think of a thought for my next thoughtful blog. My next thought was a silent thanks to csl for giving me the award and freeing me from extensive thinking. My third thought was to doubt if I really deserve it (I refer to the intellectual quality of my first and second thoughts!).

Anyway, I’ve got it and I am not giving it back. However, it now falls on me to award it to 5 other bloggers who made me think when I read their blogs. Ah Hah! It’s a trap. Now the real thinking starts. How to choose from so many?

Before we get to the awards itself, here is a word about the origin of this. It began in February 2007 when Ilker Yoldas decided to combine the meme concept with providing links to specific and quality content. Thus was born the “Thinking Blogger Award”. This meme will have the specific purpose of raising awareness of thoughtful and thought-provoking blogs.

The participation rules are simple:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,

2. Link to the original post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,

3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn't fit your blog). Then tag 5 others if you wish.

And now for the results,
With so many to chose from, I had to be quite ruthless to make sure that I was not choosing any blog for any other reason other that required, no matter how much I enjoy reading them. I also avoided giving anyone the award that I am aware has been awarded it before. The Awardees are……….


Dave invites us to look inside his head and there is lots going on. His posts range over a wide area of topics but are grounded in life around him. Nevertheless, he is able to cover a large variety of issues and has some posts that really speak to the heart. Watch out for his pranks though but even those are very well thought out.


StayatHomeKat2
Kat is able to make her garden come alive with the weird and wonderful creaures and plants that inhabit it. She blog is also great for keeping up to date on some of the latest news in zoology, botany, astronomy art, music and also horses. She is a Butterfly expert. I am impressed by the width and depth of her knowledge and interests. Although I do not agree with her strong support for the Theory of Evolution, her posts are always interesting and mind-expanding.




Guilty with an Explanation
Hearts is an enigma to me. She just won't allow herself to be categorized and that makes her blog always interesting. You're never sure where her sharp and dry sense of humor will be applied next in analysing anything from day to day living, society woes and political news. Her own life stories are also fascinating and makes one reflect over issues.



The final two Awardees do not have any photos associated with their blogs. I mention this in case you thought I got lazy.

Ellie writes a very raw, emotional and honest blog. When I was first drifting in blogosphere, the name "The Cedar Chest" perked my interest and I was not disappointed when I looked in. She allows us a window to learn a lot about coming from a strongly conservative religious minority and the joys and tribulations of living in the rapidly changing modern world. By comparing the cultures and belief systems, we cannot be other than challenged to rethink our world view.

Gledwood is a heroin addict trying to give up the habit and to make a better life. His blog is also very raw and honest sharing both highpoints and low points in his journey. The blog allows us to understand better the daily challenges faced. Yet despite his struggles, Gledwood's mind is alive and open to so much information and interests from books, art, TV and many more. He has reached all over the globe with his writing and his reading. Very impressive.

Thanks guys and girls for keeping the gears in my head turning.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, well, this is something new to me! Let me just say this, actually, I don't know how to say it, but let me try. As I have gotten to know you and read what you write about, I feel so out of my "league" coming on your blog. Sometimes I think, "I can't say one thing that would make sense to him." It isn't that this is the "aire" that you give out, because you don't, but the experiences you have had, the travels, the things you know, the way you write, everything seems so much more intellectual then what I will ever be. I am soooo incredibly surprised that you would have picked me as one of the people out there in the blog world who makes you think. My world is so small compared to yours. I will take this as a real honor and I have to say I am in tears right now. You have touched my heart today.

Now to go back and figure out who makes me think! It may take me a little bit to evaluate everyone's blogs and put it together, but I will do my best, just for you.

Blessings,

Ellie

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Squirrel,

You are a perfect choice for an award as your blog is always most interesting and well-written. Congratulations!!

I am honored that you place me in such exalted company. If I cannot be categorized, it's because I was unable to come up with a theme for my blog. I had hesitated for a few months before starting it because I thought that blogs had to be about a particular subject.

I finally decided just to write whatever I felt like, and that has been freeing for me, if confusing for my readers. I am everlastingly grateful that I have some.

I am unfamiliar with a few of your other candidates, and will definitely look into them.

Thank you so much for thinking of me!!

Jo said...

LGS, I have told Ellie that I think she should write a book about her life with the "plain people". It would be a huge best seller, and I would certainly buy it. I find her stories of her life with those folks absolutely fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Applause all around!
-P

Janice Thomson said...

What an excellent choice that your blog was selected for this award...I agree 100%! Your blog is always entertaining, informative and insightful. Well-done sir!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Ellie,
Not sure how to repond. Certainly had no intention of making you cry!! And all this talk about being out of my league. Pish! It only serves to give a squirrel a big head. (Imagine squirrel with big head - not a pretty sight!).

Anyway, I may have travelled more and I am just fortunate to have done that but that makes me know a little about a lot. You though may know a lot about a little, having not travelled as much. Neither is better, it just means we have an opportunity to learn from one another.

There is a world famous synchronous firefly colony near here. It was "discovered" in 1975 and is now a major tourist attraction. In fact, the local villagers have know about it for more than 100 years but they didn't think it special or of interest to outsiders. The thing is many of us need to realise that many things in our daily routine are of interest to others. We need to know how to identify what they are and to share them effectively.

Hence, I, and many other readers including Josie, would love to know more about "plain folk" traditions and beliefs. I'd love to learn more about how you coped with using a buggy and having a fear of horses, or how you decided which music was acceptable or the concept of shunning or barn-raising (I've never done that!) etc.

Let me give another illustration. The Pilgrims on the Mayflower, arriving in North America. They had just travelled across from Europe on large boats. Their knowledge of science, astronomy, technology even their world was bigger than that of the native American Indians that they met when they arrived. Yet it was the knowledge of the Indians that helped keep them from starvation and from freezing to death. Local knowledge is as important as global knowledge.

I think you deserve to be recognised with the award. I beleive others will agree. Keep blogging with your higher purpose always in sight. Have fun now in chosing your 5 awardees. :))

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Hearts,
Thanks. Congratulations to you too. I think you are very insightful so it doesn't matter what topic you chose, I am challenged to think......even if it is as simple as what is the motivation for dog-shit on top of parking meters!!!!

josie,
tell it to Ellie. I am in full agreement. Ellie just has to figure out what interest us "outsiders".

Proxima & Janice
Thanks. I also learn lots visiting you gals.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Well, I am having a terribly hard time choosing my own 5 awards. There are so many blogs I really like that make me think. At least I don't have to worry about you. You've got yours.

Honestly, I am going back and forth with this, feeling bad because I can't give the award to everyone who deserves it. I keep narrowing the criteria, hoping that somehow, I will choose the right ones.

Also, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I feel a close connection to many other bloggers.

I think I'm drowning.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

hearts,
I think this was supposed to have been fun. Don't feel like your drowning. It's not really an award as much as a meme that says "name 5 blog sites that make you think." Does that help? Like all memes, eventually almost everyone gets tagged.

So do not panic. Also take your time as there is no time limit and finally you can still choose not to do it. So please breathe.

Ellie,
The above goes for you too.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations on winning this award. You do write thoughtful posts that are always captivating.

I always read Dave's blog and can't wait to read the others that you've tagged.

kimber said...

Congrats on the award, and I'll be sure to check out the blogs you've mentioned. I love the fact that the blogosphere allows us to share our opinions and ideas so easily, and it's rare for me to find a blog that doesn't give me pause for thought. :)

CS said...

Glad you decied not to give it back!! I already follow both Dave's blogs and HeartinSF and like them quite a bit. I will check out the other three. Thanks for continuing the award.

Odat said...

Congrats...you're worth it...
Peace

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cheryl,
Thanks. It's really more of a meme than an award.

kimber,
i hope you enjoy them. You're right of course, virtually all blogs do make us pause in thought or else we wouldn't be visiting.

csl,
Thanks again. have fun. although my cup of tea probably not the same as your cup of coffee!!! :)

odat,
As are you. Peace.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin