They Don't Make Them Like They Used To

on Thursday, March 06, 2008

Malaysia is heading into its 12th General Elections this coming weekend. For the last 50 years or so, the elected government has always been the National Front coalition of parties which include the Malay UMNO, the Chinese MCA and the Indian MIC amongst others. Malaysia is a multi-racial country with a cultural heritage and history which has seen huge contributions from each of its ethnic groups. It therefore seems fitting that a coalition of different ethnic parties should govern the country and bring it forward. This was a vision that many Malaysians bought into, the Malaysian dream.

In hindsight, it was probably not a good idea. The problem is that it still remains a coalition of ethnic based parties when what we should have been striving for were national parties that represented all Malaysians and not just their ethnic groups.

This election is also different in that many of the candidates standing for elections are young; the next generation of leaders - some in fact are the children of established politicians. However, instead of being a breath of fresh air and reform, they have for the most part made this the most depressing election yet for me.
They don't make them like they used to. This new generation candidate has turned out to be arrogant, rude and unclear about the principles of a democratic government.

Where at least their forefathers tried to woo the voters with sweet talk and promises, this new generation are showing their disdain for voters.

Here are some phrases from this new breed of politicians on the campaign trail that I have either heard or read about in the news.

"I don't care whether you vote for me or not. I do not need your votes."

"Don't talk to me about the issues now. I will meet with you after I win the election."

"We can win this election without the Chinese or Indian votes."

"I don't represent you. I represent the Party."

Wow. Way to win my vote.

21 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

It's the same the world over isn't it Lgs. Watching the American debates is a form of unusual and unnecessary punishment.

Gerbil said...

wow, that's really disheartening.

Dave said...

Unbelievable! I can only imagine what would happen if Obama or Clinton made any of those statements! Yikes! LOL

Dr.John said...

Our politicians think like that they just don't say so out loud.

Cycling Goddess said...

Wow, yay, you got my vote all right... talk about being involved right?

I think the closest Canada came to hearing a comment like this was after the Quebec Referendum when Parizeau, after the numbers got in and he lost, said the loss (separation) was because of the ethnic vote. He almost got lynched. He's gone from politics but this will always stay with him.

Marja said...

Sad to hear that LGS. These young man stil have to learn an awfull lot.

blackcrag said...

"I don't represent you. I represent the Party."

This is exactly what I feel modern democracy is in any country: the politician doesn't represent the interests of the riding or electoral area in government, but represents the governemnt to those who voted him in. And if you didn't vote him in, then you'd better not need anything from his government.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice,
Makes you wonder if there is a better way of doing things.

gerbil,
I am very disheartened.


dave,
If Obama or Clinton said it, I would laugh heartily but since it is my own leaders, I am very sad for my country.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

dr.john,
You are probably right. So on the other hand, the silver lining is that my politician are honest about their agendas even if it is not in the interest of the people.

downtowner,
What I find interesting about Canadian politics is that almost all the parties are just to the left or right of center. Really there isn't much to differentiate between them unlike other countries.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

marja,
equally disheartening was that these young men were not taken to task by their elders. If they are not disciplined, how will they learn?

blackcrag,
regettably, i have to agree with you.

Odat said...

Makes me kinda glad I live in the US, in spite of the dumb politicians here!
Peace

Anonymous said...

Sounds a little like Canada.

Some extreme wags here say we are going through a "Cubanization", that is to say, everybody should look like a Cuban.
A Cuban in a kilt?
The mind boggles.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. That would be funny if it weren't so horrible. There's lots of bad you can say about American politician, but not that! (Although, one of the things I find most applalling about Bush is that he is pretty disdainful of anyone in the public who questions him. The public who is he supposed to be serving.)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

odat,
As much as I think poorly of most American politics, I cannot escape the fact that it is far worse in many parts of the world including Malaysia. Heck, I think poorly of politics and politicians in general.

ivan,
There are even things we could learn from Cuba. But Cubans in kilts is not one of them.

cz,
I go to vote tomorrow with no great deal of enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

The last one ... not too uncommon.
A very fine read is a publication about who in parliament is in which corporation - and gets paid there more than by the state - or in what official lobby-group and representing what interests.
They discover these "voters" normally all three years, start grooming them and forget them after another year, when the votes are counted.

Open Grove Claudia said...

That's weird. Politics are so odd.... I think they have always been like this but really what do I know? There are so many issues...

I value you, Squirrelly! I do!!

Kind Claudia said...

I forgot to mention that there's an award waiting for you at everyday-kindness.com! Whoo hoo! Awards!!

Ruth W. said...

I hate politics with a passion. It's just a bunch of lies and the rule of common sense has vanish. ugh

Jo said...

So, LGS, if they don't need your vote, you're not going to vote for any of them. Right?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

mago,
i woke up this morning to new hope. A message has been sent and the old party candidates mostly lost their seats.

claudia,
Many thanks for the encouragement and the award.

ruth,
I hate politics too but sometimes it is important to participate.

josie,
I have always voted to try to get a credible opposition to these arrogant candidates.

Gina said...

What are they, eight? Sounds like something off a Disney script. The bully running for class president.Will you vote for me? Check yes 'or else'. Red light comments like those, make you wonder who raised these punks. Somebody ought to to slap them. These youngsters have little insight into the concept of public servanthood.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin