Funny Laughter

on Monday, August 10, 2009

I thought that we could all use a laugh this Monday and so I decided to post on laughter. I admire people who know how to laugh at themselves and know how to make others laugh along. My favorite comediennes all knew not to take themselves seriously. The only thing that they took seriously was the art of making people laugh.

Some comic geniuses take it a step further and make it almost their professional duty to trip up their fellow colleagues and make them laugh. One good example and a favorite of mine was the Carol Burnett Show. As if the skits were not funny enough but the real icing on the cake were the one liner ad lib that the actors would throw out which often caused the other actors in the skit to laugh uncontrollably. Yet as good professionals, they would try to hide their laughter behind straight faces or available props, but often not very successfully. For the audience, the poor attempts to hide their laughter were some of the funniest things ever seen. Occasionally, an actor would lose it and laugh hysterically and that would just ignite the audience with wildfire laughter. When that happened, I would laugh until I cried.

There was something contagious about the laughter. "Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.", so the saying goes. I present for your amusement, one of the best examples of an infectious laugh. It is a little long but quite worth it. The fun really gets going at the 1.30 minute mark and all decorum goes downhill from there. Enjoy.

22 comments:

Kathryn said...

I can do this with my husband. If i'm trying to tease him & he won't respond, i just start laughing. Pretty soon we are both laughing uncontrollably. Don't even need a reason. We have funny "inside" family jokes that can just crack us up.

I've not been very good at laughing at myself. An unhealthy (original) family sometimes mean i don't know when it is "safe" to laugh, or if someone is being cruel in their teasing. I'm getting better as i get old.

StayAtHomeKat said...

How insightful of you Kathryn!

My sister cannot laugh at herself --- and you have given me a Nice/Sympathetic understanding of why this is so! Thank you very much!

StayAtHomeKat said...

LGS- that was fun and funny!

Do you know the scene in the movie All About Eve?
When Celeste Holmes laughs at the dinner table upon learning that Bette Davis does not want the role of Cora? --- Bette was in disbelief that she could do that so well, so easily.... and Celeste said ' and I can do it again too... listen' And she let loose and Laughed just as naturally (and gloriously) as before.

StayAtHomeKat said...

LGS

Do you think I am funny?

I mean-- when I am trying to be funny--- does it come off?

Anonymous said...

There's nothing more intimate than sharing a really good laugh with someone

Dr.John said...

I love laughter and its so good for you.

secret agent woman said...

Even in the midst of difficult times, I will find myself laughing t things that crack me up. It keeps me sane.

Lorac said...

I absolutely adored the Carol Burnett Show and all the guests she had on. The best show was when they cracked up over a one liner or two.
When she added Harvey Korman and Tim Conway I thought I would split my sides laughing. One of the few shows we all watched as a family. The video was good and infectious!

Evalinn said...

Thanks for sharing the laughter with us!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Kathryn,
Laughter is good medicine so you and your husband are keeping each other in good health! Thanks for sharing that little bit of insight. Like Kat says, it is helpful to know this.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Kat,
Of course, you are funny when you want to be. In fact, you are quite the master of the "understatement", like in one of your posts you had a picture of Taylor's bed in disarray and your caption was something like "Dogs aren't good at making their beds". That was a wonderful example of a funny understatement.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

XUP,
I totally agree. It's right up there with "sharing food"! :)

Dr. John,
absolutely and I do believe you are a practitioner of laughter as well as an instigator of laughter.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Secret Agent Woman,
True, true. laughter helps lift away the burdens and lighten the spirit. Scientists will say it has something to do with dopamine levels .....those anti-poetic killjoys!

lorac,
tim Conway was especially good cause he could keep a straight face and keep churning out the one liners even after the rest of the cast were immobilised by hysterical laughter.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

evalinn,
laughter is contagious. Spreads like a pandemic!

Anonymous said...

that was fun! thanks for sharing!

Jo said...

Omigawd, that was wonnnnnderful. I needed that. Now I have to go and wash the mascara off my face.

Mr. Charleston said...

A great noontime break. I can't remember when I last laughed as hard as the guy in the video. Something should be done at least once a week, don't you think?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cabcree,
Glad you enjoyed it.

Jo,
Hasn't someone invented waterproof mascara by now?

Mr. Charleston
I believe in laughing even through the pain. It helps.

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

I'll try again. I hope this link works. It's too funny!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Jo,
That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

On a limb with Claudia said...

I love to laugh - laugh a lot mostly because I find everything to be just a little odd.

I feel sorry for people who don't laugh - or say they are sorry. Sadly, I've found these two traits to be combined in a lot of people.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin