Squirrel's Secret Spot No: 5b (Bogor Botanic Gardens)

on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Presidential Palace

Water lilies



More Water Lilies


Last month I posted on Bogor Botanic Gardens in Bogor, Indonesia. In that instalment, the first of three, I focused on the Gardens and some of the main botanical exhibits. This second instalment will focus on the Summer Presidential Palace which is adjacent to the Botanic Gardens.

This Palace is still used to house visiting heads of state. At one point, all that separates the public from the palace grounds is the Botanic Gardens Lily Pond. This structure is a legacy from the Dutch rule of Indonesia and in part of the Gardens is a small graveyard for these early Dutch adventurers and colonialists.

The rest of the expansive palace grounds are fenced but the fence functions to keep the large herd (600) of white spotted miniature Deer in as much as to keep intruders out. These deer are descendents of deer brought in from India and are a major attraction for visitors to the Gardens.

Dutch Graveyard in Bogor Botanic Gardens

Miniature White Spotted Deer

13 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

Such beautiful, beautiful gardens...sigh. I truly wish one could just dart here and there in a flash to see all the wonders of nature. Thanks for showing these LGS.

StayAtHomeKat said...

peace
tranquility
serenity



and lots of love here :-)

Jo said...

Omigosh, that looks beautiful. I love water lillies. That looks like a wonderful play to stay.

I missed you last post with your squirrel seal. Too funny! Where on earth did you get it? You should keep it on your side bar.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

wonderful pictures of a beautiful setting.
It's nice to see nature being preserved in it's original setting.
Thanks for the peaceful oasis today.
tc

Jay said...

That's so lovely.
I always compare our own botanical gardens so unfavourably...but I suppose I am just hypnotized by the novelty of what we don't have.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely place! Some of it reminds me of the Henin Imperial Gardens in Kyoto, Japan.
-P

Jocelyn said...

I absolutely get to take a welcome trip when I visit your blog. Nothing in your photos is anything like what I can see here in my own corner of the world.

And I get to leave my passport in the drawer...

geewits said...

The weirdest thing happened. When I scrolled down to the white flower on the water lily, my brain furnished a smell for it. It was weird, but nice.

meggie said...

What a lovely post! So glad you managed to get the wonderful pics up. I love water lillies.
Also impressed with your wonderful seal.

heiresschild said...

hi LGS, you always give us some great history on something. i love the pictures. they are so beautiful, and i'm glad the deer are being protected.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Hi Janice,
I would go to Bogor and spend three days just in the gardens.

kat,
Your comment sounded familiar! :)

josie,
Have a look at my "seal" post again and you will find the url to go try doing a seal yourself.

top cat,
May there be peace in your oasis.

evalinn,
Thanks.

jay,
is that a case of "the plants are always weirder on the other side?"

proxima,
Japanese gardens are all about tranquility! :)

jocelyn,
Glad for you to come along on the trips.

geewits,
Really? I've read that women have stronger connection with smell and memories. Must have been a pleasant surprise.

meggie,
Peace to all water lily lovers.

heiresschild,
The irony is that the deer were originally brought over for hunting but became the favorite pets.

Becky Wolfe said...

Wow those lily pads & ponds look amazing. Love how HUGE they are. I imagine a very large toad sitting on one awaiting his princess. :) I saw all sorts of miniature deer species in Africa too. Cute little things!

molly said...

Gorgeous pics....

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin