Shedding Fur

on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Hi there,

I have been busy making a mess of my blog. I have had this same blog design and template since I started blogging over two years ago and like a squirrel shedding its winter fur, I thought it would be nice to have a new look.

You would think that Blogger would have come out with some nice eye-candy templates to supplement their original 16 but ....oh no, they have not. Don't they understand that the world is in need of constantly changing visual stimuli. Just look at all those "skin" covers they have for handphones these days. Blogger should get the hint.

Anyway, I am sure many of you out there are wizards at HTML and such. For you creating your own Blog template is probably a breeze. I however belong to a generation that still remembers a time when computers used punch cards (that was just after the age of the dinosaurs). As such I am desperately inept at all things HTML.

So instead, I spend a great deal of my weekend scouring the internet for a solution and I find a very good site called BTemplates. It has all these templates created by HTML literate show-offs who decided to throw some crumbs to the HTML-challenged. Okay, okay, I must admit I was grateful for these handouts. So thank you all you HTML geeks.

At last, I picked out a few templates which I thought would be suitable and proceeded to try to dress this blog in new clothes, so to speak. I thought I would be dazzling you with my new livery but instead, I ran into a host of troubles.

First one I tried had all the titles and labels in some obscure language. Next I found a nice one but I could not edit it in any way nor could I make a new post as those buttons were missing. Then I tried another but it had only a small fixed space for the titles of the post and many of my long-winded titles of the post just did not fit. My final attempt also looked very pretty but it wiped out all my widgets, blogroll and even my profile.

Hence I spent the rest of my weekend trying to recover my original template and widgets. What a waste of time it has been! I have decided that the only way that I will get a nice new snazzy blog template is for one of you kind HTML wizards to help me. Any applicants for the job?

In the meantime, here were some of my too good to be true templates. These could have been the new look for the Realm of the Lone Grey Squirrel....instead of this current coat of paint. Which one would you have liked?

GREEN LIGHT


GREEN MAGIC


PARK

16 comments:

VioletSky said...

Sorry, not much help from this end - I am about as inept with HTML as you - maybe even moreso.

I did like the first one, though.

Jess said...

NOT a HTML wizard. There are some great blog backgrounds at thecutestblogontheblock.com (you decide which one you want, then paste a block of code into a widget on your page and it morphs and does all the magical stuff ITSELF)

Somedays I hate my blog look. But finding all those old links and replacing all the widgets? BLECH!

geewits said...

I like Green Light. Whatever you do please do not switch to light text on a dark background (reverse type). I find it almost painful on my eyes. Thanks you in advance I hope! And good luck, although this look is just fine.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

I can't help because my daughter in law did mine for me. Change will be nice but templates are not the most important.

Anonymous said...

yeah, anytime I change my blog I have to re-do all those things. :( Maybe there is an easier way, but I'm not aware of it. like the link though! will have to use.

Anonymous said...

oh...I think I'd like the first one best. :)

meggie said...

I am not much help either, but I have been wanting to change too. I began a new blog, & used a free template that I am happy with. Now I am thinking of try another on my old blog.
The site I chose was from Delightful Dots, which has a site link at the very top of my new blog, which is Down from Feathers- I have it on my sidebar. It was very easy, & if I can work it--- you can surely get it to work too.

Oh & I rather liked the first one of your choices!
Like Geewits, I also dislike the black background... too hard to read!

Janice Thomson said...

Oooh like that Green Magic! Will send an email about how to switch templates :)

Sincerity said...

I love the first choice, Green Light! Very squirrelesque. :) What were the issues with that one? There are ways to change sidebar titles and background colors and such.

Did Janice Thomson send you her email yet?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Violet,
Thanks, it is encouraging to have company in HTML ineptitude. :)

daysgoby,
Thanks for the tip. I like the sound of it morphing and doing all the magical things itself. Sounds very "Transformer-thingey".

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

geewits,
I kind of like the black background designs but after your comment, I will stay away from them. :)

Joyce,
Thanks. I agree that template is just eye-candy and that the content is more important but still, I prefer to project the image that I am not the unkempt slob I really am!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cabcree,
I agree.....there must be an easier way! :) Looks like the first one is the winner.

meggie,
Thanks for the info and also for steering me away from the dark backgrounds.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice,
Thanks for the help. Look forward to your email.

sincerity,
Can't remember what was wrong with Green Light. It was all a nightmare.....a nightmare, I tell you. By the end, my eyes were bloodshot and I am sure my blood pressure was climbing Mt. Everest!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Green Magic looks like a proper abode for a squirrel.

I would gladly offer help if I had any to give, but I am challenged as well. The last time I added some awards to my sidebar, over a year ago, I destroyed my entire blog which had to be rebuilt. It was traumatic. So whenever another blogger is kind enough to give me an award, I thank him/her but don't attempt to mount it on my blog; nor will my boring template change for the same reason. But I do look forward to admiring yours when you figure it out.

StayAtHomeKat said...

What is wrong with using my beautiful template?

I will not mind :-)

StayAtHomeKat said...

I peeked in today! Lovely! Congrats!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin