Jo Wants to Know

on Sunday, April 19, 2009

Josie had a great post in which she was interviewed. She seemed to have so much fun answering the questions. Just as we had a great time reading her replies and learning more about her. Anyway, a bunch of masochistic exhibitionists (myself included) excitedly lined up to be interviewed in turn by Josie. So here are her Questions and my answers.

1. Have you ever been influenced by a work of art – music, painting, book – and if so, how?
Music has been very influential in my life but it has always been different songs at different parts of my life. I have posted on this before ( theme songs I and theme songs II). The painting that has had the biggest impact on me is probably Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth. This picture gives a great sense of the challenge of life played in context against the wide canvas of space. It contrasts both the importance and insignificance of human existance. It has helped influence the way I think. As far as the printed word, I would say that apart from the Bible, it would have to be the short story by Maxim Gorky entitled "One Autumn Night" which again reminds us that our fates are not really in our control but we all need the chance encounters with other humans and that we all need acts of kindness and love.

2. If you were a chocolate bar, what type would you be?
I imagine myself to be a pretty straight forward guy; what you see is what you get. No surprises. Perhaps a little understated. I suppose that makes me a plain and perhaps boring milk chocolate bar.

3. What is your secret weapon to lure the opposite sex?
Hmm. I don't really know. Nothing obvious. I have always found it easy to make friends with the opposite sex. Perhaps they find me comforting......like a "milk chocolate bar"?

4. What, in your opinion, is your greatest accomplishment?
I was once involved in getting some young people out of the clutches of a brain-washing cult and stopping their activities in my area. The cult was eventually disbanded a year later when the leaders were arrested after they caused the death of some of their followers' children by refusing them medical treatment. I am glad that God gave me the opportunity and the strength to get those young people out of that potentially dangerous situation.

Doing independent traveling through Europe for a month would be my next choice as it helped build up my self-confidence and strengthen my character. It is an accomplishment that I am proud of and which brings me much satisfaction.

5. How many friends do you have on your Facebook account?
Well, I had about 12 friends on my Facebook account before I pulled the plug because I found that Facebook was taking up too much of my time.

16 comments:

Sally's World said...

its great to get to know you better, great answers and great achievements...

Anonymous said...

If you really were a choclate bar, you'd have no shortage of women hanging around.

Ipulled the plug n my face book account but not because it was taking too much of my time - I found myself disinclined to spend any time at all on it.

kimber said...

I've always felt drawn to both Andrew Wyeth and Jamie Wyeth's paintings... they are so haunting and beautiful!

Great answers, LGS!

geewits said...

Have you posted about that cult? I'd like to read that. I've had friends that got roped in and made it out of cults. Those things are really creepy.
You've often referred to yourself as "the guy that girls just want to be friends with," but I know from experience that those guys make the best husbands. Your wife is very lucky.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Sally,
Thanks but I am 100% certain from reading your blog that you have achieved a great deal more than this humble squirrel.

cz,
In a way, that was what I meant about Facebook. I did not want to get drawn into the sending of hugs, pets, etc. And sometimes people get offended if you don't reciprocate. I couldn't get drawn in to that so I pulled the plug.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

kimber,
Yes, there is something almost ethereal about their paintings. I can actually feel that I am communicating with the painting.

geewits,
thank you for that sweet compliment. I shall blush and accept it. As for the cult story, I find it a little difficult to share cause other people were affected in a very negative manner and I don't want to bring up old wounds unnecessary, even though it is unlikely any of them read my blog. Well, perhaps one day. I'll have to think about that one.

StayAtHomeKat said...

wonderful answers! enjoyed the insights into your life and character!


Facebook... I have enough on my plate as it is now... and I am loyal to my blogs... I don't want to go elsewhere.

I am a chocolate bar too!

Listening/dancing to Samba while in Brazil... my life's music.
A Man and A Woman - wonderful movie, inspiring to me.
Atlas Shrugged an important book in my life.

I am proud of many things in my life... proudest of always trying to be a better person... and to be aware of my shortcomings (even if others are not aware of their own).
Can I be proud of cutting out all that Kudzu on my property?

I have no lures to the opposite sex other than my full lips and green eyes ( I used to have the legs! and I still have the smarts!).... but I have many repellents!

I have 0 friends on Facebook as I have no Facebook... lol and too few visitors and comments on my Blogspot!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Kat,
Cutting all that Kudzu is a mammoth achievement in my opinion. Keeping it at bay must be like a titanic struggle against the power of green pestilence!

I am looking up A Man and A Woman and Atlas Shrugged. Sorry to say that I know neither of them.

Full lips, green eyes, legs and smarts are practically ingredients for weapons of mass attractions. Yes siree.

StayAtHomeKat said...

I love you!

StayAtHomeKat said...

Humor is so sexy and you've got it!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

kat,
squirrel is blushing.

On a limb with Claudia said...

I LOVE the new theme! It's so easy to read!! Thank you so much!

I loved this - what a great way to get to know you a little bit more.

As for the chocolate? In my opinion, you are a rich, expensive chocolate. The kind that is great tasting and filled with complex flavors. One that's memorable for it's depth, delicate flavors, and pleasing palate.

To me? you are no 'milk chocolate'.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Claudia,
Why, thank you. If only I was as rich and expensive in real life! Haha. Unfortunately, only rich in cholesterol levels. :)

Andre said...

Nice interview, LGS. Always cool to see the man behind the bushy tail.

That sounded odd.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Andre,
That DID sound odd but thanks, man.

meggie said...

Facebook?? I think it is somewhat hollow?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin