The Romantic Horror Show

on Tuesday, November 13, 2007


I hate Chinese romantic comedy movies. That is because they always portray the love-struck male as a complete blubbering idiot that always makes a fool of himself in front of the object of his affection and.............. unfortunately, it cuts too close to home. Ah, the indiscretions of youth. If you are anything like me, those early forays into romance were damn embarrassing. For that very reason, I tend to keep those memories locked in a trunk in the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind and have burned the map that would lead me back to them.

So imagine my surprise that in the last two weeks, not one but two lost flames reappeared in my small world and in the most unusual way and they were in sequence, my first crush and my first serious girlfriend.

In the first instance, I was at a meeting at work with members of the Board of my organization. This is a quarterly meeting and I have known and met with these people on a regular basis for the last 5 years. This last meeting was different though. At the end of the meeting, one elderly gentleman whom I get on particularly well with, pulled me aside and asked if I had ever lived in a place called Ampang. Well, that was strange. I was almost automatically going to say that I haven’t. Then an old memory re-surfaced. I did indeed stay there for one month but that was when I was about 12 years old (which let us just say was several decades ago). I was puzzled how he might have known this.

He then went on to say that his wife (whom I had only met twice) says she remembers me from then. He then asked if I had attended some art classes there and indeed I had. He said his daughter used to attend those classes too. Suddenly I felt like I was hit with a sledgehammer right between the eyes. I suddenly knew who his daughter was. She had a very unusual family name which the gentleman also had. Strange, I never made the connection before. Now, you might wonder why his wife would remember me after all these years. Let’s just say I did some memorable capers that would have fitted in nicely in a Chinese romantic comedy movie. Well, I found the whole episode a little creepy and a bit embarrassing. No doubt they would all have a laugh on me that night over dinner.

Anyway, it seems No: 1 crush is married with two kids and has kept in touch with my career in the news and from her dad. I’m sure she’s been telling her friends, ‘ I knew this guy once……what a dork!”

Then just over a week later, I found myself as the master of ceremonies at a baptism service. Later, after the service, I was congratulating one of the baptisimal candidates, a young girl, when she turned and introduced me to her aunt. I looked round and came face to face with serious Girlfriend No:1. As appropriate again for a Chinese romantic comedy movie, I said something smooth like, “Ha…ab….a..ba….ba.” The surprise was complete. The conversation was awkward. I’m sure she’s telling her friends, “After so many years, I met him again and……he’s still a dork.”

Take the case of the Lone Grey Squirrel. His confidence and self esteem is taking a beating because he keeps meeting his old girlfriends in that place called ……the Twilight Zone. Creepy.

25 comments:

Open Grove Claudia said...

Oh goodness. I don't understand why you would feel less confident because you ran into someone you love. That's a little odd, Squirrelly. You care about these women - that's wonderful. AND they are the wrong person for you - frogs that allowed you to know that Mrs. Squirrelly was "the one".

Anonymous said...

“Ha…ab….a..ba….ba.” That is an absolutely sufficient conversation when distributed in small dosages over the evening at the finish embassy. They will remember you as the one who talks that much. :)

Such a blast from the past is disturbing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry: Finnish emabassy. Not finish of curse ...

Gina said...

that is interesting. Yes it IS disturbing. Can be. Your'e no dork, either. Maybe I just like dorks and I am one too so it behooves me to say it. Anyway. I am sure your wife got a kick out of these run ins...I recently was out to dinner with my ex twice, two separate restaurants when the recent ex gf's come to our table. It was wierd. He was glad that I could see that he has been out with other women. I was glad for him..

Janice Thomson said...

It can be embarrassing to meet one's exes no matter how happy one is at the moment. The past has a way of creeping up on us when least expected - maybe that's why these things occur - as a reminder of sorts.

Marja said...

Oh don't worry be happy. Just a memory past by. I've got an award for you waiting. Come and pick it up

Claire said...

Oy, I hope to never meet up with old flames -embarrassing! LOL from one dork to another...

Tai said...

LOL! It's funny, my ex's and I are, for the most part, friends...very little awkwardness involved, though I have to say, I know what you mean.

Jo said...

You had me laughing out loud...! :-)

My first serious boyfriend (whom I was madly. in love with when I was 16) became a pilot for Air Canada after he graduated and we went our separate ways. A few years ago I was at a high school reunion, and a strange man came up to me and started chatting with me in an overly familiar way. I looked at him and said in my most haughty voice, "Do I know you???" And he replied, "Josie - it's me! Gary!" We ended up spending the rest of the evening dancing, and had a wonderful time. :-)

riseoutofme said...

Ah, the ghosts of our previous lives .... twilight zonish, indeed.

I know dorks ... and you're not like any of them ...

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

claudia,
Me thinks that you think that my thinking is in need of therapy. Perhaps. :)

Mago,
Were you recently at the Finnish Embassy?

gina,
glad you are on such good terms with your ex. I was an emotional mess when i was a kid and most of my relationships ended rather embarrassingly.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice,
I have been reminded how stupid I used to be around women. *shudder*

marja,
An award? What a nice thing to say!

claire,
we could form a club or a mutual support group for dorks at love.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

tai,
good for you. anyway, we aren't too interested about your ex. We are more interested in your current.

josie,
another pilot? I am losing count between pilots and doctors. Could it be that you like men in uniform?

riseoutofme,
so nice of you to say that I am not like the dorks you know. I may escape from the Twilight Zone after all.

Margaret said...

Hehe, well they did remember you.

Looking back now, as a girl - I sure wished I married the dork instead of the muscle bound jock who turned out all wrong.

Us girls always remember the sweetness of such a love struck blubbering idiot. Especially now at 40 as I wonder where they've all gone.

Leslie: said...

Ah, but look how far you've come, LGS. Don't worry, cuz some of us girls (well I was one once) can end up babbling when confronted by an ex boyfriend. (wonder who?)

Baba Doodlius said...

Advantage, birds: we mate for life! One and done, we always say. No exes for us! WOOHOO!

MedStudentWife said...

Been there and done it.. I think we cross the same paths of same people over the years for various reasons, but no one ever wrote the book on how to avoid the embarasement.

Golly - Im truly empathizing with you. I have tales to tell, but in my time. You are not alone and definitely no dork !!!

CS said...

If the first one is tracking you, it is NOT because she thinks you are a dork. Don't assume that women find that kind of bumbling dorky. It's endearing - and it's flattering to know you bring out that kind of reaction in someone. Personally, I like it.

meggie said...

This made me laugh LGS. I think we all have those memories. Luckily we dont all have to face them again!!
Twilight Zone??

Greg Horning said...

Don't worry about it, dude. Women hate me, too.

Jocelyn said...

There's something very flattering that they've remembered you--even tracking your career.

You're the biggest nerd in your own mind, I fear.

The rest of us think you're cool.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

margaret,
Thanks. That's good to know.

leslie,
"wonder who?" Are you telling?

baba,
good of you to drop in, o wise bird.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

msw,
look forward to your tales.Don't take too long and leave me in humiliation all by my self.

cs,
Thanks. I am now encouraged to be more bumbling.

meggie,
Laugh away. *sigh*

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

greg,
I see you are a squirrel tamer. Does it not work with women?

jocelyn,
It's so cool that you said so.

Greg Horning said...

Sadly, when it comes to women, my powers are worthless.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin