Everyday Kindness

on Monday, January 07, 2008


"It's another fine mess that you have got me into." I am addressing my good friend, Claudia who is always Out on a Limb and expects us to follow. Somehow I always give in to her as she weaves these ideas and memes. The latest idea that came out of her sparkling mind sounded so wonderfully great that I rushed in to volunteer to do it too and now I am in deep dodo.

I refer to Claudia's Everyday Kindness challenge and you can read more about it and about the other accomplices that have taken up the challenge here.

Basically, we have all committed to do one act of kindness for every day of 2008. So it has been 5 days, so how did I fare?

Day One: Bought donuts for everyone in the office.
Day Two: Took someone out for lunch.
Day Three: Took someone else out for lunch who was feeling lonely.

Hmmm. Do you see where I am in the deep dodo? I am trying to be on diet and the only act of kindness that I could think of had so far involved food.

Day Four: Fate intervened. I came to know of a friend's mother being ill. I prayed for her mother.
Day Five: Helped an office colleague with some work.

Already, I realise that it is not going to be easy. Partly because I meet so few people other than at work that I have little opportunity to interact with people. Even so, I am not giving up. I realise that I may have to plan my week so as to give myself opportunities to show kindness. So be it. This is a great challenge. If I make it to the end of the year, it will be quite and accomplishment and would have made me a better person for it.

If you want to join this challenge, declare yourself at Claudia's. Go on. Just do it!

12 comments:

Kind Claudia said...

Hurray! And the world is a kinder place because of it.

I absolutely know what you mean about not really knowing what to do. Since I write, I have to create opportunities - or so I thought. I've been amazed at what has shown up - friend with a sick daughter, a chance at the grocery store, etc. I like the idea of prayer too.

I think you are doing an excellent job, Squirrelly. And the world is just a little bit kinder because of it.

heiresschild said...

hi LGS, i think this is good and it's something we all should do every day. the thing about kindness is you don't have to know a person to be kind; we can be kind to strangers--people we meet in the stores, on the subway, at the post office, even here on the blogs. being kind doesn't always entail spending $$$$. you and Claudia have inspired me to show more kindness. thanx.

i thought i had let everyone know that i had changed my URL info, but in case i didn't tell you, it's changed. when you click on my name here, it'll take you to my blog and you can pick up the new URL there. someone else picked up my old URL and is calling his/herself heiress child also. go figure! i may get another user name.

MedStudentWife said...

Fantastic challenge, LGS... gotta think hard if I have it in me.

You are doing great :)

Here is an idea,for those days that you run out of random act of kindness ideas that are people geared, how about nature ? :)

Today I made something to try to be a bit more green.. I made my own clothes detergent. Have yet to try it out. If it works, it wasn't at all hard. Will let ya know :)

Jo said...

LGS, I love the philosophy of random acts of kindness, or "pay it forward". It's a wonderful philosophy. As Sylvia says, it doesn't have to be someone we know, it can be strangers. Little random acts of kindness to everyone we meet, even squirrels. :-)

Cheryl said...

This is a wonderful challenge. I'd love to hear some of your everyday kindness from time to time.

meggie said...

This is a really great idea.
I like to do it whenever I can. I also like to pay it forward when I can. If we all help each other a little bit, the world has got to be a better place.

I love your music selection. I just nominate things I am listening to or love, at the end of my posts. I do have a very wideranging catholic taste in music. I was going to reply to you on my blog, but the chance passed, & I seem to have been so busy these past few days! I do appreciate your comments, & always read all my comments.

blackcrag said...

My New Year's resolution (if you can call it that, because I really decided a while ago, and haven't got around to making it happen) is to volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Other than that, I will continue to hold doors open for people, greet the bus drivers politlely, ask how the checkout girl/server/service person's day is going.. and generally be a polite Canadian.

Will that be enough?

Gledwood said...

Sometimes they use the expression "killing with kindness"... though sometimes I thin that is utter BS!

:->...

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

claudia,
This is another fine mess you got me into. Thanks.

sylvia,
Thanks. I have updated by blogroll to show your new blogging abode. I'd just been lazy before.

msw,
kind to nature! Check! Does it count if I am kind to dumb animals like myself?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

josie,
Yes, show kindness to squirrels! Super idea.

cheryl,
I'll keep everyone informed on progress.

meggie,
Thank you for your kindness to this quilting ignoramus.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

blackcrag,
Honestly, I think Canadians are so incredibly kind and social minded.....almost to a fault. Just keep being you.

gledwood,
I think giving to others gets you all kind of rewards including getting your mind off your own problems. You're really being selfish when you help others and it's great.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I think that every one of your posts should be considered an act of great kindness, Calvin.

I joined Claudia's wonderful campaign, too, and it is making me more conscious of what I do and don't do every day.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin