Hieroglyphics for Dummies

on Thursday, January 17, 2008

Two weeks ago, I had a post on the Two Ronnies showing how to speak English, the Swedish way. In the interest of promoting better global understanding and world harmony, I am posting this sequel which helps us ordinary people to understand some of our classical languages. In this case, it is Egyptian or at least hieroglyphics.

For a long time, hieroglyphics were a mystery. No one knew what stories were locked behind those wonderful symbols. However, the French were to discover a stone that had hieroglyphics on one side and other known languages on the other sides. This allowed the hieroglyphics to be translated against the corresponding word in the other language. This stone, the Rosetta Stone, was the key to unlocking the ancient language.

Fortunately, we no longer need to spend half our lives in musty University libraries to understand hieroglyphics, thanks to the availability of materials such as that famous series, "Hieroglyphics for Dummies". Here, the Two Ronnies present a video tutorial from the series.

16 comments:

heiresschild said...

very amusing!

Jo said...

LGS, omigosh, I love it...! I needed a giggle today. Thank you. You have the world's best sense of humor... :-)

Julia said...

I saw the Rosetta Stone last summer in London!

squirrelmama said...

LGS, to truly complete the theme of this posting, why not compose your next entry entirely in hieroglyphics (or perhaps Swedish hieroglyphics), to see how many readers among us have been paying attention?

.Tom Kapanka said...

I'm heading off to the airport and wanted to thank you for your encouragement as I will be spending two weeks not far from your homeland. Thanks for stopping by and for praying for this trip.

MedStudentWife said...

man.. you just crack me up.

I love squirrelmama's idea !! (Picture Spike Mulligan doing it)

Jocelyn said...

Dang. I'm in bed next to my husband, working on my laptop (does blogging count as "working"?), so I can't play it!

But I can imagine it's a hoot.

Open Grove Claudia said...

Hey thanks man, I was wondering how I could translate that early Egyptian beekeeping guide! ;)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Sylvia,
:)

josie,
Thank you.

julia,
I have no idea what the Rosetta Stone looks like. Lucky you for having seen it.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

squirrelmama,
that's a good suggestion but it means I have to go back and pay attention to what I posted too.

tom,
Have a safe, enjoyable and blessed trip. See ya when ya get back.

msw,
When I think of gud ol' Spike, my mind gets distracted with nonsense rhymes.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

jocelyn,
you are so considerate to your husband. A suggestion? earphones.

claudia,
E.C.S.A.B.C

Leslie: said...

This is so funny! Reminds me of when I was teaching Bible class to grade 4s and we learned about hieroglyphics. I had the kids make up their own sayings using pictures and share them with the others. It was a lot of fun - even for me to see what they came up with.

Marja said...

That video was absolutely hilarious. Thanks

Open Grove Claudia said...

Heya squirrelly - I left you a little present on my blog! :)

Dave said...

You always find a way to get me laughing! British humour has always been a favorite of mine. :-)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

leslie,
You must have been many kids' favorite teacher. I can just tell.

marja,
Glad you enjoyed it.

claudia,
A present? For moi? Thanks. Be right over.

dave,
laughing is good.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin