Choosing Seven Natural Wonders

on Saturday, July 05, 2008

Almost two years ago, I posted on the effort to declare the New Seven (Man-Made) Wonders of the World through an unprecedented global internet voting process which led to the results announced here in 2007. At that time, four of my choices made it into the final seven; they were Machu Picchu (Peru), Taj Mahal (India), Petra (Jordan) and Great Wall (China).

I recently discovered that there is now an attempt to identify the New Seven Wonders of Nature through the same global internet voting process. In this preliminary stage, you are allowed to nominate up to seven candidate sites or vote for seven candidate sites already nominated or any combination in between. The top 77 sites from this voting process will then be shortlisted and then the final round of voting will allow voters to select the top seven from that list. Those with the most votes at the end of that round will be declared the New Seven Wonders of Nature.

Currently as of 5th July 2008, the top 10 on the list are;

  1. Cox's Bazar Beach (Bangladesh)
  2. Ha Long Bay (Vietnam)
  3. Ganges River (Bangladesh/India)
  4. Tubbataha Reef (Philippines)
  5. Chocolate Hills (Philippines)
  6. Mount Everest (Nepal)
  7. Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park (Philippines)
  8. Mayon Volcano (Philippines)
  9. Amazon River/Forest (South America)
  10. Mount Fuji (Japan)
It is early days yet but the top runners are surprisingly almost all from Asia with the Philippines having a high number or percentage of nominees. If you disagree, do please join in and vote.

Below are my seven choices;

1. Banff National Park (Canada)

My personal vision of paradise is closely represented by Banff with its forests rich in wildlife, stunning turquoise lakes, glaciers and mountains. I have visited Banff and it was beyond my expectation. I could live there quite happily. It's a pity about the seasonal hordes of tourists but there is still sufficient wilderness to get lost in.



2. Auyantepui Mountain (Venezuela)

The Devil's Mountain, in the native tongue of the Pemon peoples, it rises like other tepuis, almost vertically from the jungle floor and has a flat plateau like top. Tepuis are often referred to as islands in the clouds. Auyantepui rises to a height of almost 3,000 m and the world's highest waterfall, Angel Falls, cascades off its plateau. It is rich in rare and unusual plant life. A wet and wold place.


3. Hardangerfjiord (Norway)

I have always been fascinated by the scenery of fjords and the geological power of the glaciers that it often represents. I visited here more than 25 years ago but was blown away by the grandeur even then. I would love to revisit this place of haunting and reflective beauty.


4. Milford Sound (New Zealand)

This is the Antipodean reply to the Norwegian fjords and beautiful and lush with its own wealth of flora and fauna. I have been on the cruise and have seen the unusual darkwater corals but would one day like to hike the spectacularly wet Milford Track.


5. Plitvice Lakes (Croatia)

Another place that I have visited that has captured my imagination ever since. This rates very high on my personal list because of its fairly unique nature and because I just love the landscape of waterfalls and crystal clear lakes linked by cascades and streams. It was just beautiful water everywhere and i just love water. The limestone outcrops and caves are added attractions.


6. Mulu Caves (Malaysia)

I know that this is in my own backyard but I have not visited it (relatively costly for me). However, I could not leave out from this list the world's largest cave system and largest single cave chamber. Other special caves are also found in this system with individual characteristics. The large bat population is an attraction too as is the rich forest life surrounding the caves.


7. Pamukkale Springs (Turkey)

I have never been here but the thought of its rather special and delicate attractions gives me goosebumps. I would love to soak in its hot-springs.

Don't miss out on casting a vote for your picks for the new Seven Wonders of Nature.

21 comments:

molly said...

As usual, whenever I visit here, I leave better informed than when I arrived. I've only been to the very southern part of Banff, but if it is as beautiful as Glacier Pk. to the south of it , it would get my vote. That cave in Malaysia is amazing, and the waterfalls in Croatia stunning.....Thanks for the wonderful pics and for furthering my education!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. I have never heard of some of these places, yet they are so spectacular. You have made me put "buy lottery ticket" on my "to do' list for today.

Jocelyn said...

Your nominations are jaw-dropping and inspiring and make me want to buy a round-the-world plane ticket.

My #1 nomination would be: my laundry pile.

Talk about majestic and jaw-dropping.

Janice Thomson said...

Wow these are all so spectacular - I don't have a favorite but I must say Angel Falls really intrigues me since I've not seen any pics of the mountain with snow so where in the world does all that water come from?
All these places are just gorgeous Lgs...good choices!

MedStudentWife said...

Wow.. such lovely places.... we have no idea of what we hold on earth...


I vote for the official list AND the LGS list :)

Claire said...

Wow! #5 would be my ab fab fav too, but I have a better chance of getting to Banff. There is much of Canada that I'd love to see. Ah well, perhaps after we get all the kids through college...

Anonymous said...

What pictures!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

molly,
Thanks for the kind words. It is nice to find that people are interested in what interests me. I hear Glacier Park is wonderful too. jasper further north is Banff without the tourists That could be special too.

pam,
Hope you win! :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

jocelyn,
Your sense of humor should also be given a special award. Your laundry pile must indeed be awe inspiring! :)

Janice,
The Tepuis are called islands in the clouds. They are often higher than the clouds but in the mornings,they are usually blanketed in thick mists and therefore there is a lot of moisture condensing on the rock. The tops are often filled with water filled bogs. This is where the water comes from.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

msw,
Ah, but you already live in Paradise. I do not mean to be sarcastic. I really think you live in a pretty good place with quite a lot of nature within easy reach.

Claire,
You would love No#5. It's crystal clear waters is rich with fishes and in someplaces you are allowed to swim amongst the fishes. There is also a lot of wildlife. And everywhere water flowing, cascading or dripping. And mosses and ferns and....ahhh!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Ivan,
A picture paints a thousand words.

Dr.John said...

Since I have done very little traveling I like your seven choices.

VioletSky said...

Great pics.

I've not commented on your blog before, but I have been lurking for awhile.

I, too, was following the 7Wonders website and voting, and have also been following the New7Wonders. Glad to find someone else interested. One way to learn more about some of these amazing places.

Anonymous said...

wow. just wow. Thanks for sharing such magnificence. I've been working in our basement (where it's cool) so the scenery is dismal. I think it gets in my head....

Thanks for the inspiration.

the walking man said...

Your choices. Squirrel, all seem to have the heights and water in them? You must be a mountain squirrel.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

dr. john,
Thank you. I imagine though you would have some thoughts on the 7 best railway journeys?

Hans,
Thanks for the info.

violetsky,
Thank you for de-lurking. Perhaps you would share your top 7 natural wonders?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Claudia,
Ah, I am familiar with basement living but it is cool in summer. Hope your bees are doing well.

Mark,
Your observations are sharp as always. Indeed I have a weakness for water. Hence no desert or dry landscapes in my selection and I am also not a diver - hence no coral reefs or islands have been included. But I do love water. Water squirrel?

VioletSky said...

That is a good post idea. I will do that in the next couple of days.

Marja said...

Wow the earth is a paradise. I adore your list. I went to 2 of these places. I sat in the warm water of pamukkale. They told me you are not allowed to walk on these terrasses though anymore.
Of course i went to Milford Sound and will go there this summer again to show my broo. Thanks for these great places

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

violetsky,
Look forward to your post.

marja,
Oooo Pamukkale! I haven't been there. What was it like?

Anonymous said...

Oh, man - you just went and added seven places to my interminably long list of places I want to go! Sigh (bookmarking page).

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin