Postcard from Luxembourg

on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I am a little short of time tonight so this won't be a long post. I was also searching for inspiration and thought if I could just select an old photograph from my collection, I might just write a quick story about the photograph. And then my eyes came across an old post card that I picked up 25 years ago. It was a postcard from the small European nation of Luxembourg.

The City of Luxembourg is small but very hilly and wooded and was the very first walled city that I had visited. Its towers, walls and embankments are visible in much of the city which made it very interesting. Here and there, one was filled with the urge to shout " Man the Ramparts!" and rush silly-nilly to the wall and play act at repelling the invaders.


All of which leads me to these closely linked to pictures below. The first one shows my partner in crime. His name is Joseph. He is an American and we met I think on the train and decided to pair up to take in the sights of Luxembourg. What can I say about him? He is pretty much your average American backpacker, full of exuberance and derring-do. Oh, there was one other thing. He was the son of the cartoonist who did the comic strip "Frank and Earnest". My tiny claim to fame!

Okay, back to the story. Since I am telling it, I will say that the innocent Malaysian was led astray by the seasoned American traveler. Yes, that's my story and I will stick by it.

At any rate, we walked around the city the whole day and eventually found our way on a winding road in a heavily wooded area. As we were on a hill, we could make out the city below us in between the top of the trees. The truth was that we were lost and it was getting dark rapidly. We kept on walking. By my reckoning we should have been close to a monument called "Les Trios Glands" or the "Three Acorns" (see last picture below).

Soon we were walking in pitch darkness and not liking it at all. Suddenly through the trees on the slope below us, we saw very bright lights. So Joseph suggested we cut through the woods and go down the slope towards the lights. It seemed like a better option than continuing along the pitch black road.

So off we went, half running, half slithering and half falling (okay, I know my maths ain't great) down that slope. As we were reaching the bottom, we could hardly control our momentum and suddenly we found ourselves launched into the air. Luckily, we did not fall too far but as it turned out, we landed on the top of the roof of the Trios Glands.

We briefly enjoyed the view which few tourists would have enjoyed as the roof of the monument was officially out of bounds and the monument was in fact closed for the night. We stealthily exited by jumping down to the slope on one side of the building. It was very exciting trying not to be caught.

We left the building behind laughing and in good spirits. The adrenaline was high from falling down the slope and then avoiding detection in a prohibited area...........and that is the only reason I have for what happened next..............somehow we accidentally put out the eternal flame that was burning at another monument nearby.

Well, that was my little tale of misbehavior in Luxembourg during my young and foolish days. Nowadays I am still foolish but too old to jump off rooftops. I hope that the Luxembourgian police will not appear outside my door tomorrow morning. If they do, I have only two things to say to them. One "Lighten up" and two "It was all Joseph's idea."


20 comments:

Adele said...

i went to luxembourg for just a few hours once and it is beautiful, brings to mind dark forests and witched lurking in gingerbread cottages.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go there! I've been to Neuschwanstein and a couple other place in Germany. My visit was way too short!

Only claim to fame (although, very minor) was getting to talk to Danny Glover for all of about 2 minutes when I worked in reservations at an airline. It's something, right? lol

Anonymous said...

Gosh that's gorgeous - and what a great experience! I haven't been so I appreciate your sharing your experiences!

Baba Doodlius said...

You see, what you need to do is grow yourself a nice pair of wings - they really come in handy when you find yourself on somebody's roof and you want to get down to the ground without much injury.

Nice story! I'll fly over to Luxembourg one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! And for a person short on time, you sure did a thorough job of it!

VioletSky said...

And the memories just came flooding back, didn't they?!!

Dr.John said...

Only a squirrel could do all that and not get hurt.

Marja said...

I went a couple of times too luxembourg. The last time they were singing "who put the lights off, who who who"
We only walked along the river and the many bank buildings

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Hagelrat,
I totally agree with you. You can let your imagination run wild there.

cabcree,
Talking to Danny Glover beats meeting the son of the famous cartoonist, I have to say.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

claudia,
Thanks. I am glad you find it of interest.

baba,
My secret wish would be to be able to fly.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

xup,
I am just long winded. That was my short version. My long version would be terribly long which explains why I never finish my short stories.....can't keep them short!

violetsky,
All except the memory of the fear, thank goodness!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

dr. john,
Only a foolish young man would try.

marja,
Hahaha. In the words of the song by Shaggy, "Wasn't me!"

the walking man said...

Wait...wait you guys extinguished the eternal flame? How is that possible? But at any rate...did you use a time bound match to re-light it?

Anonymous said...

What is youth for if not jumping from buildings?

geewits said...

What a wonderful memory to have! I'm glad you found that postcard.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Mark,
What's a time bound match? We just ran away. Sorry to disappoint you. At any rate, you would have thought that it would have been harder to put out the eternal flame.

cz,
I wouldn't recommend doing it too often.

geewits,
That's what postcards are for, don't cha think.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Watch out for those Americans-- they'll get you in trouble everytime. (o:

Anonymous said...

Even eternal flames get lighten up now and then :)

Janice Thomson said...

What a beautiful place. Loved your tale of adventure though can't figure out how you put out an eternal flame without getting burned or something - are you sure you didn't just add that for our amusement? LOL.

Tara Omar said...

I am Tara Omar, currently living in Belarus . I am a widow at the moment with Four kids and I was stuck in a financial situation due to the world pandemic and I needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a man of God a loan officer working with group of investors who are willing to finance any project at the rate of 2% rate in return Mr Benjamin Lee gave me a loan of 150,000.00 USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without stress , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mrs Benjamin Lee (247officedept@gmail.com). He doesn't know that I am doing this but I am so happy now and I decided to let people know more about him and also I want God to bless him more. You can contact him through his whats-App : + 1-989-394-3740 .

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin