5 Christmas Songs

on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Photocredit: wendyrosko


And another first for me. Daysgoby tagged me to do this. First time, that I’ve been tagged. How exciting.

5 Favourite Christmas Songs

1. O Little Town of Bethlehem (lyrics: Rector Phillips Brookes; music: Lewes Redner; 1867)
This hymn uses a lot of contrasts, such as “dark streets” contrasted with “everlasting light”, “mortal men sleep” while “angels keep watch”. But the one phrase that is very meaningful to me is “ the hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.”
Christ’s coming has an eternal significance and it has to do with removing fear and giving hope for all mankind. For me, this is the spirit of Christmas.

2. O Holy Night (lyrics in French: Placide Cappeau; Translation: John Dwight; Music: Adolphe Adam; 1847)
“Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared and the soul it felt its worth
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.”

Again, a reminder of the big difference, Christ’s birth has made to those who believe. A historical footnote: some say that this was the very first melody played on radio.

3. Little Drummer Boy (Lyrics and music: Katherine K. Davis, Henry Onorati and Harry Simeone; 1958)
It was a hit for a number of artists including Bing Crosby. However, my attachment to this song is because it was the song that my late favorite uncle would always insist I sing at family gatherings at this time of the year. I would squeal it out and be rewarded by a pat on the head by him. I will still do this for pats, old habits die hard. For a young kid, it was an easy song to learn as most of it consists of “pa rum pum pum pum”.

4. Night Before Christmas (music and lyrics: Carly Simon)
It’s a folksy song which I first heard on the soundtrack of that Steve Martin movie about black comedy about depression and murder around Christmas time entitled “Mixed Nuts”. I just like the music and especially the lyrics below which speak and reach out to those alone at Christmas.

“If you're heart's been longing, And you've been afraid to try
Sorrow's kept you company, And the dance has passed you by
I'll lift you up and blaze with you, Across the moonlit sky
On the night before Christmas

'Cause you don't have to be an angel
To sing in harmony
And you don't have to be a child to love the mystery
And you don't have to be a wise man, On bended knee
The heart of this Christmas is in you and me



The heart of this Christmas is in you and me
The night before Christmas
The night before Christmas”

5. Santa Baby (music and lyrics: Joan Jarvits, Philip Springer and Tony Springer)
Performed by the incomparable Eartha Kitt, this is my humorous antidote to the rife consumerism and promotion of the Jolly Santa that is occurring today. Plus she just sings it so, so well.

5 comments:

Open Grove Claudia said...

Nice! I love Earta Kitt...

Open Grove Claudia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo said...

What a beautiful post...! Those are all my favorites too. I also sort of like "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", but only by Brenda Lee.

My all-time favorite is "Once in Royal David's City". That's one of the most beautiful hymns ever written.

BTW I love the wolf on your blog. He's far too jolly to be a wolf.

Cheers,
Josie

Jess said...

I love this meme (and thanks for doing it!) - people come up with all different songs, and their experiences...

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

claudia,
She sings it like a real siren.

josie,
'fraid I don't know "Rockin' around the Christmas tree" but "once in Royal David's City" is of course one of the best all-timers. Wonder if our taste in secular music is similar too.

My wife doesn't like wolfie's growl. Says it's frightening. I try to convince her it is just deep and sexy-like!!! Anyway, he's jolly cause I suspect, visitors are keeping him well fed!

daysgoby,
You're my first link, I stole my first meme from you and you were the first to ever tag me. Thank you for being so important to my blogging life. What other new blogosphere fronteirs can we cross?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin