Barter Trade

on Monday, September 17, 2007

PhotoCredit:- Kate by LGS

The train journey out of Yugoslavia was interesting in its own right even though it lacked the drama of my train journey into that country just a few days earlier. As I boarded the train at the Zagreb station at eleven at night, I had used up almost all my local currency earlier. I was quite hungry as I had not eaten since morning but with the last of my local currency I bought a bottle of water as I decided thirst was even harder to ignore than hunger pangs.

When finally the train pulled out of the station on its way to Austria, I found myself alone with an attractive Aussie backpacker in the train compartment. Strange as it may seem, I was however, more distracted by the sight and smell of the doner kebab that she was eating. We exchanged pleasantries and I learned that her name was Kate. After a short conversation during which she had made no offer of sharing the doner kebab with me, I decided to excuse myself and to try to put the gnawing hunger out of my mind by catching some shut-eye. Not an easy task as visions of food danced before me.

Not long after, a uniformed soldier with a rifle came into the compartment and sat next to me. As I did not have a pleasant experience with soldiers on my way into Yugoslavia, you will forgive me if I was a little alarmed at his presence. However, he seemed friendly enough, flashing a smile at both Kate and I. He had stored his kit bag away so it seemed he would be our companion for the journey.

He said something to Kate in what must have been Serbian. Kate just shrugged her shoulders to indicate that she didn't understand and went back to her book that she was reading. The soldier tried a few times but got nowhere with Kate.

The compartment settled down to some quiet with only the sound of the train on the tracks and the passing wind to be heard. I was actually about to nod off when suddenly I felt the soldier prodding me. I open my eyes to see a smiling face but I couldn't comprehend what was happening.

He said something to me in Serbian. I shrugged. He pointed at my backpack. I followed his gaze and realised that he was pointing at a little white book that I had in my backpack's side pocket. It was in fact a small travelers' phase book for the Balkans which had English, Serbian and Italian phrases alongside one another.

I took it out of the pocket and showed it to him. He was delighted. His eyes lit up as he opened the book. He scrutinised it for awhile and then he pointed to the book.
I looked and his finger was showing me the phrase, "Hello. My name is..." and then he said "Josef". Okay, I got the idea and so using the phrase book, we had the rudimentary tool for communication, although we were stuck with phrases like "where are you going?", "where did you come from?" and such. We seemed to have made a connection.

This went on until, he found the phrase "this is home-made". He took out a bottle from his kit bag opened it and offered it to me. "Slivovitz", he pointed out in the book which in the English translation read, "plum brandy". At his insistence, I took a swig from the bottle. How should I describe it? Liquid fire comes close. It did have a kick and I felt instantly warmed from the inside.

He then produced an apple and gave it to me. I was overwhelmed by his friendliness and generosity. As I bit into the apple, he reached over and took the phrase book. He looked something up and then he went over and sat next to Kate and showed her some phrase. Kate nodded in response. Then they both got up and made their way out of the compartment. As she walked past, she winked at me and mischievously said, "He's invited me out for a smoke. Don't wait up for us though."

Then, suddenly I was alone in the compartment. As I finished off my apple, I suddenly realised that the soldier was a real smooth operator and that he had been after the phrase book all the time so that he could make a move on Kate. I felt used. Still, I reasoned, I was hungry now I am fed and besides, I had a bottle of liquid fire to dull the sense of humiliation. I wouldn't see either of them again for at least a couple of hours and when I did, they were both positively giggly. I did get my phrase book back eventually but it had become dog-eared from recent use.


Post-script:- After we ditched the soldier at the border, Kate and I got to know each other better and we were to spend the next few days as traveling companions in Vienna, Austria.

20 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

Ah,...humans...the same the world over, right Lgs? What a hoot this was. Love your sense of humor. One question - did you finish the bottle??

Tai said...

Great story...I'm with Janice! What happened to the rest of the plum brandy LGS?

meggie said...

Loved this post! What fun.

Ruth W. said...

Wonderful post...sounds like a great adventure to me. I have always wanted to visit Austria....yes, I was one of those who loved the movie "Sound of Music" I just can't help it, but I do..lol.

.Tom Kapanka said...

I have never traveled by train, but it always strikes me as romantic. You've described it very well. I would have felt the same way you did (except without the liquid fire =) A bottle and me in a melancholy mood would be a bad combination.

MedStudentWife said...

He certainly was smooth !!! *lol*

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice and tai,
Now, I don't rightly remember what happened to that bottle! Haha! Okay, I'll fess up. I can't hold too much alcohol so I wouldn't have had more than a few sips. Sorry to disappoint you.

meggie,
More fun for the other two than for me. ;)

Jo said...

Post-script:- After we ditched the soldier at the border, Kate and I got to know each other better and we were to spend the next few days as traveling companions in Vienna, Austria.

Hmmmm.

You know, I have had that Yugoslavian plum brandy. It's very dangerous stuff.

Loved the bear video, BTW. I'm doing some catching up tonight.

Cheers,
Josie

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

ruth,
Ah, then it's Salzburg that you'll be wanting to visit. It is very nice. I saw the gazebo where the young lovers danced, jumping from seat to seat. No one is allowed into the gazebo anymore after an elderly tourist broke her collarbone when she fell while trying to jump from seat to seat!

tom,
I would agree that riding the train has a romantic feel to it. I enjoy it. Don't worry about me and the plum brandy. I'm always careful about alcohol. Been drunk only once and didn't like it.

msw,
Ah, someone who appreciates his smoothness!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

josie,
You sneaked past me. Hmmmmm. What is your "Hmmmmm" for, young lady?! The plum brandy probably burned up so many brain cells that I could honestly say that "I have no recollection".

kimber said...

What a great story! I love the way people are people, no matter where you go!

geewits said...

Great story LGS. That was nicely done. I felt as if I were there.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting life you have lead LGS! You are quite the international travelling squirrel!

Open Grove Claudia said...

Ah Squirrelly - don't feel humiliated! It sounds like you got the better deal all the way around - an apple, some brandy, and 2 days with an Australian called Kate. That's a lot more than 2 frisky hours on a train with a guy who carries a gun.

the walking man said...

What an absolutely wonderful Road Dog tale...if no one has given you a Road Dog name I hereby name you Dictionary. Hence from this moment forward you are Dictionary as I am The Walking Man. All Road Dogs need a name and I hope I have the honor of giving you yours.

Live in peace LGS

TWM

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

kimber,
Ah, people, they are all over the planet! They are a nuisance that way. Can't get away from them. :)

geewits,
Very kind words indeed. thanks.

squirrel,
It's called squirrel recon. It's all part of our plan for world domination by squirrels!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

claudia,
Well, I admit it. I wouldn't have enjoyed 2 frisky hours with the soldier. No way!

TWM,
Wow, it's already an honor that you think it is worthy to be a Road Dog Tale but to have a Road Dog Name! Well, thank you. Dictionary out.

molly said...

I have heard of that slivovitz from my Ukrainian in-laws and believe you when you say it's like drinking fire! You had such an adveturous youth...love all the stories of your travels....

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have recently launched a {designer handbag | designer watches | designer
jewellery } (choose one which is most appropriate) blog and we are looking
to spread the word and get in contact with similar websites to ours to
promote relevant blogs and websites.

Please email me at chriss714@gmail.com

Thanks
Chris

Anonymous said...

I was pretty pleased to discover this page. I need to to thank you
for ones time just for this wonderful read!

! I definitely liked every bit of it and I have you saved as a favorite to check out
new stuff in your blog.

my weblog: natural cellulite treatment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin