Stop the World......It's Rugby World Cup

on Saturday, September 08, 2007


This last week has not been a great one at work with some bad news and some aggravating correspondence. The sort of things that just seem to take the wind out of your sails and sap your enthusiasm and concentration for the job. I could be feeling a little down in the dumps as a result but I am not. This weekend is the start of a month of first class international rugby at the Rugby World Cup 2007 in France. I am going to park my worries aside and enjoy myself this weekend.


Long-term readers of this blog will already know that rugby is one of two sports that I really get into and have blogged about it before.


This starting weekend has not failed to entertain. It began with a surprise upset in the opening match between the host France and Argentina. France is considered the best European team having won the 6 Nations Championship in both 2006 and 2007. Argentina in contrast is not generally considered to be one of the major players and are not one of the eight seeded nations in the World Cup. However, Argentina may be the boogeyman for France as they have won four of their last five encounters with France and they did it again winning 17-12. France must now be cautious with all remaining games if they are to live up to their pre-tournament expectations of reaching the finals.


The second game was between the tournament favorites, New Zealand and the very credible Italian team. This Italian team had won three games in the 6 Nations Tournament in 2007 which makes them one of the better European teams. However, New Zealand was able to convincingly stamp their superiority with a final score of 76-14.

Doug Howlett scores 3 tries for NZ



As I type this, Australia is trashing a spirited Japanese team by 84-3. This was always going to be a bit of a mismatch between an ex-World Champion and one of the minnows of the sport. However, even if the Japanese look dimunitive against the large Australian players, their spirit was inspirational and the crowd appreciated the Japanese efforts.

I am then going to overdose on rugby by watching the England vs USA until the wee hours of the morning.

This grey squirrel's eyes will be red by tomorrow morning. Ta Ta for now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun LGS. I can not understand why these men do what they do, but I hope you really enjoy it!

Jocelyn said...

I admire your stress-relief activities this weekend--watching, cheering, blogging.

And I admire Argentina for making France a little less smug.

meggie said...

Good for you LGS! A weekend off stress sounds just what you need, & deserve!

Drizel said...

Shame the Japanese guys aleways fight to the end no matter how bad the end result will be....its awesome...being South African and now sooo much into rugby as my family I do know alot about the game....enjoy it Squirel:)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

mago,
I am wise enough to not do what they do but enjoy seeing them do it anyway. Did that make sense? :)

jocelyn,
It's a clear case of anger transference. I imagine my anger and stress being worked out as those bulky men crash into each other......then exhausted, I eat some chips! Part of the fun of rugby is cheering the underdogs so quite a few million people also are happy Argentina stole the day.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

meggie,
Thanks for the encouragement. I did successfully play the role of stress free couch potato this weekend.

etain,
I wish the Springboks well. (Please trash England!) but my heart is All Black.

Becky Wolfe said...

Sorry to hear you're down in the dumps work-wise. How perfect that a favourite distraction has come along right when you need it! Enjoy the season!

Claire said...

Underdogs Rock!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin