David Archuleta Sings Our Song

on Thursday, May 15, 2008

When I left Malaysia to study in Canada, I left my future wife behind. At that time we had been going out together for a while but had made no decisions or commitments to one another. The truth was I had a fear of commitment and our separation seemed like an easy way of letting fate decide.

I had always enjoyed traveling and coming to Canada was a real treat for me but in that first year I came to realise that as much as I enjoyed experiencing Canada, I missed not experiencing it with her. I just knew then that I wanted to experience every joy and every sorrow with her for the rest of my life. It was not fate but God who acted because just as He made me understand this and to recognise my own insecurities about commitment before, He also moved her to make a bold decision to save up and visit me on her own accord.

The timing was perfect. When I was informed that she was coming, I was excited and got prepared. The first day when she arrived I practically showed her the whole of Ottawa as if I was trying to share a year's experience in one day. She gamely put up with it but of course she was tired and she slept soundly that night.

However, I knew what I had to do and so the next day, as soon as she awoke, I proposed to her by singing "And So it Goes" by Billy Joel. I chose this song because the lyrics accurately expressed how I felt in an honest manner that I felt she needed to hear. Needless to say, this song has remained special for us.....our song.

So, we were so pleasantly surprised when we learnt that American Idol this week, Puala Abdul chose this song for David Archuleta (also my wife's favorite contestant) to sing.

And so it goes that ......DAVID ARCHULETA SINGS OUR SONG!!!!




I had posted about this song before and here are the complete lyrics of the song.

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along

I spoke to you in cautious tones
You answered me with no pretense
And still I feel I said too much
My silence is my self defense

And every time I've held a rose
It seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes, and so it goes
And so will you soon I suppose

But if my silence made you leave
Then that would be my worst mistake
So I will share this room with you
And you can have this heart to break

And this is why my eyes are closed
It's just as well for all I've seen
And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows

So I would choose to be with you
That's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break

And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows.

13 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, that's so sweet...

I really hope Mrs. Squirrel was just as excited about hearing that song as you were!

Dr.John said...

Glad she didn't choose to break it. Of course when she came that far to see you you did have at least a little hint.

Ruth W. said...

a truly beautiful song and he did a wonderful job with it, however, I still prefer BJ version.

my favorite song also!!!

Janice Thomson said...

Beautiful Lgs - simply beautiful.

Marja said...

I felt all fuzzy wuzzy when reading this post and hearing the song. You are such a romantic soul Squirrel She must be a special lady

geewits said...

What a lovely way to propose!

MedStudentWife said...

You are such a sweetheart !!!

I just love "love' stories :D

Anonymous said...

She is a very lucky gal. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story!

Speedcat Hollydale said...

This makes me want to go home and kiss Mrs. Speedcat. She would pass out ..... not a bad idea! Ha haa!!!

OK, I am off.

Great story, great song Mr. Squirrel

tsduff said...

I love your story - filled with uncertainty, then hope, and finally the happiest ending. Having your own song is great. When we were young, our song was "Rider's On The Storm"
by -The Doors. Now, 35 years later, it still is :)

Jocelyn said...

Imagine if David had shown up that morning in Ottawa and done the singing for you. Your wife wouldn't have known whom she was agreeing to marry.

the walking man said...

Ottawa is an easy city to do all sorts of unexpected things in. Giving up fear is a good one eh Squirrel?

And its been how long you have been a half of a pair of love birds?

Peace

Odat said...

JUST AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

:-)

Peace

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin