300th Post

on Saturday, May 17, 2008


ImageChef.com Flower Text

It's hard to believe but this is the 300th post for this nutty blog. It has been a fascinating one year and seven month journey to get here consisting of a couple of hundred of sleepless nights, being late for work a few hundred occasions, hundreds of mid-night snacks and hot drinks and numerous groggy mornings.

What is this Blog about? I had no real idea what direction this blog would take once it got going. The original premise was "to interpret the world through the observation of squirrels". And what did that mean? One visitor commented, "I thought it was going to be totally about some kook and his squirrel obsession or I would have visited earlier." As it turned out, after 300 posts, my blog was mostly about people I have met (20%) but close on it's heels is a slew of other topics, so it is fence sitting even in this aspect. Humor was an important component but squirrels surprisingly only 8% of the time. I would have thought that squirrels and food would have had a higher number of posts.

What the Blog has been about:
1. People (20%)
2. Humor (19%)
3. Malaysia (13%)
4. Videos (12%)
5. Animals (11%)
6. Reflections (11%)
7. Music (10%)
8. Celebrations (9%)
9. Environment (9%)
10. Travel (9%)
11. Christian Faith (8%)
12. Squirrels (8%)
13. Food (8%).


Why do people visit this blog? Well, I guess only you can answer that with any certainty but these days, I get about 100 visitors daily and as I post this, there would have been in total, 26,353 visitors to this blog. I am grateful for all my visitors but especially my regular visitors who are part of the 27 daily visitors who come by to check on me and read my latest offerings. Thank you very much. You are of course what has made this experience worth while. I enjoy our interaction and your comments ever so much.

Most visited pages daily:
1. The Current Main Page (27%)
2. Dungeons and Dragons Part I (23%)
3. Singapore Girl in Blue (8%)
4. What the World Needs Now.......(Addendum) (4%)
5. The All-Blacks are Winning and the Sun is Shining (3%)
6. Animals Speak of the Human Condition (3%)

I would very much like to say that the other 73 visitors came to one of my 300 posts in search of insightful articles, information from well researched articles or to enjoy my cultural efforts including my poems. Unfortunately, these visitors main aim is to purloin some pictures. The most popular photos by far are the following;

Why this? Perhaps the Male Fantasy Factor?

Perhaps a classier side of the Male Fantasy Factor?

This is a nice photo but it's Gillespies Beach that is the attraction.
Ladislav Kamarad (Gillespies Beach)

The Haka : Perhaps the Female Fantasy Factor?

Obviously the cuteness factor


Which have been Favorite Posts? It is impossible for me to choose. There are some real stinkers but I could not choose my favorites. However, the posts that garnered the most responses from you the readers are listed below. The top three really received a lot of comments. The first was about my spiritual journey from Buddhism to Christianity. The second marked the passing of my father last October (thanks for being so supportive). The third was a post about bears and huskies. The others included a notice that I would be away for a week, a notice that I was not well, a meme (that was a good meme), a folk tale retold, a post stolen from somewhere else, some original writing and I am so glad one of my travel posts also made the top 10.

Most Commented Posts:-
1. Born Buddhist
2. Half Post, Half Mast, Full Life
3. Bears Just Wanna Have Fun
4. One Week
5. Hippie Sick
6. Tag 5
7. Have Gourd Will Travel
8. DAM is a Three Lettered Word
9. Field Report on Manglish
10. Secret Squirrel Spot No: 6 (Canals of England and Wales)

Thanks for coming by and for your interest in the weird and wonderful wanderings of my mind as it finds its way on to this blog. I have made many good friends here and miss those few who have stopped posting regularly. I am surprised to have made it thus far without running out of things to say but will carry on as long as that does not happen. Peace.

37 comments:

Jess said...

Happy 300th!

You look great from here!

Dr.John said...

Thanks for the tour of your blog history. I did take advantage of it to read how you became Christian.
I know how God works and how he changes us so it was good to read.

MedStudentWife said...

WOOHOOO !!! Happy 300th ,LGS :D

Its true about this "blogging thing" - you never know where its going to go AND better, all the great friends you make on the journey.

Thank you for becoming one of my friends !!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Now this is an accomplishment. I come here because I like you. Period. I've admired your courage... in losing your father, hurting your back and more than anything loving your wife so completely. You're a wonderful person and I am blessed to know you!

Thank you for posting! :)

Janice Thomson said...

Congrats on the 300th! What a neat idea to break everything down like this. Look forward to at least another 300 :)

geewits said...

This post truly proves you are a scientist! I know the mind of an engineer and they love to count and sort things. I don't believe people can run out of things to say. Sometimes I just don't feel like typing. I have lots to say, but I hate to type. Whayyagonnado? But I'm glad you are here and don't mind typing because I really enjoy your blog. Happy 300th!

the walking man said...

May your squirrelly wordiness be long on the earth.

Peace

meggie said...

Happy 300th. I am so glad I found you!

Ruth W. said...

Congrats on the 300th, now we expect to see 300 more!! Good going LGS
love you and your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Happy 300 posts! I see you are interested in detail and quite analytical about it all. I was thinking, "Gosh, he spent a lot of time gathering all that data!"

Congrats! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Squirrel re invented as Renee. I haven't been reading blogs much since I started working and much to my surprise when I do visit you today it's a 300th post party! Congrats!! My favorite post was the Haka guys.

Claire said...

300! How cool. I wish I would or could post more often, but life gets in my way. LGS, I come here because you are eclectic and I like you. You have a kind heart that shines through in your writing. My favorite posts are about the environment or anything about animals (especially squirrels, haha).

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

daysgoby,
Thanks Jess. I always remember that you gave me my first meme.

dr. john,
Thanks. I do hope to share my faith in this blog when possible.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

msw,
Glad to have made a friend in Paradise.

claudia,
very kind words indeed, friend. Thanks for challenging many of us to strive higher and to be better.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

janice,
Breaking things down neatly is indeed a part of my scientific brain function. Fortunately, I also have a chaotic half of the brain!

geewits,
Guilty as charged of being a scientist. Can you forgive me?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Mark,
And peace to you too, dear sage. Thanks for the kind words which means a lot coming from a wordsmith like yourself.

meggie,
Thanks for giving me a chance even after I insulted quilting.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

ruth,
I am blushing. Many thanks.

ellie,
did you mean, "my, he wasted a lot of time on those pointless analysis?' LOL. It is so good of you yo comment on this 300th post since you were the first to link to my blog. Thank you and God bless.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Renee aka Squirrel,
I am so glad you dropped in on this 300th post. Wish you well on your new blog. Glad you were brave enough to admit your attraction to the haka boys.

claire,
Ah, a rich and busy life is better than a blog with many posts so says wise old sage. Thanks for the kind words .

molly said...

Congratulations on making it to your 300 th. post! I never know what to expect when I drop in, but it's always interesting! Here's to the next 300!

Odat said...

HAPPY 300TH!!!! Wow! I'm glad I came along for the ride and am happy knowing a wonderful person like yourself!!
Peace

Anonymous said...

I came here because of the title. My husband and I love our squirrels and they even teach their babies to trust us. But what I found was more than just squirrely, I found a very nice blog and a very nice man.

Anonymous said...

Happy 300th post buddy!!
Continued blessings to you and yours...All is well with me and mine...Till next time! =)

Jocelyn said...

For me, your last word sums up your greatest attraction, as a blogger: Peace. I feel that way when I visit here. I know there will be intelligence and a gentle humor and, yes, yes, yes, a feeling of peace.

Now, how can you track all that info? I use a really measly site meter and have no idea how people can gather so much info about their blogs, who visits, etc. It blows my ludditic mind!

Jo said...

LGS, my gosh, how on earth did you come up with all those statistics. Oh, wait... that's your job, isn't it???

I don't get time to visit many blogs lately, but yours is always on the top of my list. I never know what to expect over here.

Congratulations on your 300th post!

And oh, by the way, the Haka? Definitely my female fantasy factor!

Anonymous said...

That is quite a Bedeker.

Well written guide around your blog.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

molly,
Thanks. I never know what I am going to write about either....well almost never.

odat,
I alway enjoy it when you come by and leave your cool funky avatar on the comments. Thanks for letting me come along for the journey.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Dana,
Thank you for "unlurking" and leaving a comment. It is always nice to meet fellow squirrel lovers. I will come round to visit too and tanks for the kind words.

nancycle,
hi there buddy. Thanks for the update and good news. I took myself off Facebook. Too many addictions already. Do drop a line sometime and tell me what's been happening.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

jocelyn,
I am immensely pleased that you feel peace when you visit here. That is very much the nicest thing you could say. I am a little surprised though as I think my blog is like my mind....in chaos but I like that you can find peace here.

Well, I get most off my info from Feedjit on my sidebar. Feedjit tells you which are the most popular pages, it also tells who refered the visitor to your blog (that's how I know most of them came looking for photos). The breakdown of my blog by topic was just a rehash of my topic tags on the sidebar. Finally, I manually looked through the posts to determine which had the most comments.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

josie,
I know you have a naughty streak in you.....hence, I am not surprised about your Haka fantasies! Explanation on how to get those statistics is in my reply to jocelyn above.

ivan,
Thanks. I timed it to fit with a long weekend with lots of time to waste to do it.

Eastcoastdweller said...

It's important to mark these milestones. Congratulations, Squirrel! Your blog is an Internet jewel, a pleasure to read, and you are quite the intelligent man/squirrel.

Marja said...

Wow 300 and so nicely presented.
Congratulations with this achievement. You are one busy squirrel. I must say I like all your posts. I am happy for the Kiwi's that the all blacks are so popular mut nop not my piece of cake. I am from a soccer country.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all those posts. That's a really interesting summary of what you blog and who comes to visit.

tsduff said...

I do enjoy your blog my friend - because you are a squirrel ;) And, where on earth did you find that fabulous flowery 300 post thingy? I love it. You are all right.

Anonymous said...

Frig! I sent you an email ages ago and never got a response back!!! Feeling snubbed, I went on with life figuring the pain would eventually subside.. ;-) I figured you were busy er something...Anyhoo, I'll drop another line and see if I've got the right email address!

Later gator!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

ecd,
Thanks for the kind words. I have appreciated very much your encouragement in this journey.

marja,
Thanks for the kind words. I still follow soccer but not with my previous enthusiasm since I saw the high speed game of ice hockey.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cz,
thanks. I am sure it will evolve. What I blog about is in part from inspiration I get from all of you.

tsduff,
the squirrel thanks the raven for its kind words and for not trying to kill said squirrel. In return, squirrel will give raven te secret of the flower thingy. It is from image-chef. Just click on the picture and it should take you there.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

nancycle,
I am So Sooooooorry to have missed your email earlier. I will send you an email and grovel in private.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin