Theme Songs Through My Ages

on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I have always loved music and often wished my life was a musical with full orchestral backing. It's therefore not surprising that I had my varios theme songs as I grew up. Here are some of them.

Age: Precocious Youth
Years : Under 10 years old
Song: The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel,1964)

Why was this my theme song at this time? I really don't know. Perhaps I was too young really to think of having a theme song then. However, this song definately had the strongest influence and impact on me. Perhaps I was melancholic by nature. Another song that made an impact on me as I was a little older was "Alone Again Naturally" by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Maybe I was plenty melancholic. I don't really remember.

"Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again....."

"And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence."

The excerpts above are the parts of the lyrics that resonated most with me. I was comfortable with silence and solitude and I noted that more people were alone than they would admit to themselves. They talk but are neither listened to nor do they listen. Hiding behind facades and masks, no one daring to be honest.




Age: Awkward Teenager
Years : From 11 - 17 years old
Song: Danny's Song (Anne Murray version,1972)


At this time in my life, I am beginning to notice the female gender and perhaps thoughts turn to love and the search for the end of loneliness in the finding of true love. This is a short song so I've included all the lyrics. This song is as country as I get. But clearly, the theme is clear. It is the expectation that love conquers all. Perhaps, one can detect my hippie sympathies here too.

"People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one
And we've just begun, I think I'm gonna have a son
He will be like you and me, as free as a dove
Conceived in love, the sun is gonna shine above

Chorus:
And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with ya honey
Everything bring a chain of love
And in the mornin' when I rise
Bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything's gonna be all right

Love a guy who holds the world in a paper cup
Drink it up, love him and he'll bring you luck
And if ya find he helps your mind, better take him home
Yeah 'n' dontcha live alone, try to earn what lovers own"




Age: Restless Young Man
Years : From 18-21 years old
Song: Total Eclipse of the Heart(Bonnie Tyler,1983)

As I grew out of my teens, I perhaps became more disillusioned. The world was not just black and white. The good and the just did not always win. Love did not conquer all. The world just seemed like a very confused place. I grew a little more angry inside. The theme song for this period was definately more packed with emotion, power and even anger but at its core it is a sad song.....of loss, betrayal hurt and a farewell to innocence. Incidentally, this was written by Jim Steinman. I still love most of his songs till today.

"Turnaround, Every now and then I get a little bit restless and I dream of
something wild
Turnaround, Every now and then I get a little bit helpless and I'm lying
like a child in your arms
Turnaround, Every now and then I get a little bit angry and I know I've
got to get out and cry
Turnaround, Every now and then I get a little bit terrified but then I see
the look in your eyes
Turnaround bright eyes, Every now and then I fall apart
Turnaround bright eyes, Every now and then I fall apart"

"I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight"

>


Age: The University Years
Years : From 21-22 years old
Song: All Night Long (Lionel Richie, 1983)


This was my theme song for one simple reason. I used to pull all-nighters trying to study for my exams. There was a time when my night and day routines were practically interchanged. I found that I studied better at night with less distractions. "All night long" was my song and my rally call.



I will carry on with the remaining themes and periods of my life in the next post.

21 comments:

CS said...

This was a fun one. Although I can rarely settle on any one theme song, there are songs that will capture me at a particular moment or for a situation that feel thematic for me. I guess that's why I frequenltly include bits of song lyrics in my posts. (By the way, you chose the version of Danny's song that leaves out the verse about drug use.)

heiresschild said...

good fun post LGS. i too have different songs that are special to me for certain periods of time for certain reasons. looking forward to the rest of this post.

in answer to your comment on leslie's blog, LGS, come out, come out, you've been in the tree too long. *lol* everyone knew about george's pig. well, almost everyone since you didn't. it was big t.v. news here when his pig died. i'm trying to remember his name, but it escapes me at the moment.

Janice Thomson said...

Oh this is so good Lgs! I am enjoying the child growing to adulthood and all the changes...what a unique post! I look forward to the rest...

PS: I still love Sounds of Silence

Ruth W. said...

I liked Sound of Silence also, but MUCH older than 10

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cs,
So actually, you have a sountrack for your life! even better than Theme songs. ;)

There's a version of Danny's Song with a verse on drug use? ;0 Didn't know that. I only know the Anne Murray smiley smiley version. I have never had an interest in drugs so it wouldn't have applied.

sylvia,
maybe you could do a similar post? Would be interesting to learn the songs that were special for you.

As to George's Pig, maybe because I am in a Muslim country, it was not considered kosher news! LoL.

janice,
Well, the child does indeed change but I wonder if he grew up! Somehow not surprised that you love Sound of Silence. It's kind of an anthem to introverted, creative people, I think.

ruth,
What's your current theme song?

Jo said...

What a fun post. I have songs that go along with each of my "eras" as well. The soundtrack of my life, as it were.

geewits said...

Good post. I think we all have our era songs. That will be something fun to think about as I drift off to sleep.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we do idenify certain periods with the songs of that period.

I must say the soundtrack of my own life has been in between Willie Nelson and Canada's GUESS WHO, with special emphasis on "American Woman".
Much later it was Ritche Sambora/Bon Jovi with DEAD OR ALIVE.
I especiall like the phrase, "I seen a lot of faces/and I've rocked them all."

Weird things happen when you run away from home.
Become Fritz the Cat.

Yowl.
Caterwaul! :)

Ivan

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

157josie,
Any how might that soundtrack sound?

geewits,
Pleasant sen-surround sound dreams. Do share.

ivan,
So you're a rocker! Rebel with a cause? Not familiar with the reference to Fritz the Cat though.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Unique post, I agree. I listened to S& G's melancholy stuff so much as a young teen that my Mom blamed the music for my mood and threatened to take it away.

StayAtHomeKat said...

I love all your songs!

StayAtHomeKat said...

I had a "cool" moment with a favorite piece of music.

One winter, on my way to the new skating rink in Centennial Oympic Park.... I was late and so was running, running to the park to meet up with friends. Now, I knew that several times a day, the park had a music/dancing fountain/light display but I had never experienced it. This day I did....as I was running into the park they were playing !Chariots of Fire!

I felt like an Olympic athelete running into a stadium with that music playing :-)

Claire said...

Hey LGS, what a good idea for a post. I would think it would be very difficult to pick just one song to represent a portion of your life. But definitely agree with you about S&G, they were my favorites as a preteen.

Open Grove Claudia said...

Thanks for this cool trip into the 1970s. I often forget about all of this music! I appreciate the pleasant reminder!

Of course, Lionel Richie would have done better to do less partying and more fathering but that's just my judgment

Cheryl said...

All great songs, LGS. Great idea.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

eastcoastdweller,
So, did the music cause your mood or just reflected it? I think music can encourage a mood too.

kat,
Thanks. I am imagining you running to the theme of Chariots of Fire. It certainly must have been a cool moment. Did you ham it uo by running in slo-mo? ;)

claire,
these songs are not necessarily my favorite songs but they closely reflect my mind set at those times. I wonder why S&G appeals to so many pre-teens.

claudia,
You're welcome. Glad to share the blast from the past.Mr. lionel

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

cheryl,
Ooops, we must have posted at about the same time. Sorry I missed you. Thanks, glad you like the songs. Care to try this as a post?

meggie said...

What a great post LGS! I love all those songs, & can remember things when I hear them too. I always say, I have had the most wonderful soundtrack to my life.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

meggie,
I would love to listen in on your soundtrack! LoL.

StayAtHomeKat said...

SLO-MO....no :-)

but slow! YES!

Lorraine said...

Well done Lone g...it was nice to know the songs (it brought back my own set of memories LOL)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin