Schmoozers Recognized and Flagpole Sitta Lip Synch'ed

on Saturday, July 14, 2007

Schmoozing as defined by Dictonary.com is the ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” I first came across the concept of "schmoozing" when I played the life simulation computer game, "The Sims 2". In this simulation of life challenges, you soon learn the folly of not sleeping enough and not going to the toilet on time. Relearning the basics. One interesting concept of the game is schmoozing. To advance in your career and to get promotions, you must be punctual, come to the office with a happy attitude and also you must make friends. The more friends, the faster your promotion. In the game, you may also have to shmooze the principal to get your computer progeny into that highly esteemed private school. Frighteningly similar to real life, don't you think?

Anyway, that's a slightly negative use of the word. If you look at the award logo, you will see that it is refered to as the "Blogging Community Involvement Award". I think the spirit of this award is best reflected by that thought.

Squirrel was kind enough to name me as an awardee of this award. Before we get accused of nepotism and award fixing, I'd just like to say we are not related. Besides, it's a given that all squirrels rawk! Anyway, many thanks squirrel.


Here are the Schmooze rules:

1. If, and only if, you get The Power of Schmooze Award, write a post with links to 5 blogs that have schmoozed you into submission.

2. Link to this post and Mike so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.

3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Power of Shmooze Award' with a link to the post that you wrote.


Obviously, I read a large number of blogs regularly because I enjoy them all and every one of them have their special characteristics. My task now though, is to select 5 that stand out because they are great Schmoozers or by my understanding, those who have greatly helped to foster the networking of this wonderful community. Through your blogging social skills, you have encouraged us, informed us, amused us and most importantly helped us to meet others and to expand our social circle in the blogging community. Some of you have already been nominated and in the spirit of things, I will not repeat that nomination. By the power bestowed on me by my fellow squirrel, I award the Power of Schmooze Award to;

1. Josie at All in Good Time. I stumbled on to Josie's site very early on and am I glad Idid so. Her blog is always warm, friendly and welcoming. You'll soon meet a whole bunch of lively bloggers at her site. She and her Quarks throw some great virtual parties from time to time. There's a whole lot of schmoozing going on.

2. Proxima at The Echo Tree. Proxima has fostered a very wide and diverse community at her blog but again she makes every one feel at home and tries to get every one introduced and interacting. Variety is the spice of life. Schmoozing with style.

3. Top Cat at Open Window. Top Cat is one of the most genuinely friendly and all round nice guy in the bloggosphere. He has built up a lot of friends as his blog has progressed. Somehow he still keeps it very personal despite his large following. Personal, real, sincere, warm and funny. He is a wonderful schmoozer and host at his blog.

4. Jocelyn at O Mighty Crisis. Jocelyn has a very interesting blog on many levels but in this context, her disarmingly dry but charming humour makes everyone comfortable. Somehow, she has schmoozed us all into her cheering section and we get to know each other in the process.

5. Lorraine at PhotographsL. She's a quiet individual and doesn't like crowds. Not a typical schmoozer at all. Yet she treats everyone that comes by her blog with her special brand of hospitality and attention. Recently, she did a series of edited photos that helped us meet other bloggers. She is always encouraging interaction amongst her visitors. She is a rare schmoozing catalyst.

Since it is the weekend and in celebration of the receiving and giving of this award, I'd like to offer for your viewing pleasure my current favorite video on the internet. Please bear in mind that this is a lip sync'ed which was done by the folks at one office and was done as a single take. I think you'll agree that it is amazingly well done. Have a good weekend.





Lip Dub - Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger from amandalynferri and Vimeo.

27 comments:

Jo said...

LGS, you are a HOOT..! Ha! What a great post. It just happens, I LOVE schmoozing. It's one of my favorite things to do. That's what I meant the other day when I said I would love to have great parties, and everyone would be welcome, and everyone would be friends with each other. You are always(!) welcome at my parties, with your great sense of humor!

BTW, I can't open the video.

Cheers,
Josie

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Oh, goodie. More new blogs to read. I love Josie and Jocelyn, but don't know your other three awardees. I can't wait to check them out.

Congratulations to you on doing what you do best - making everyone feel welcome, heard and supported.

You are definitely the go-to squirrel, the Mr. Congeniality among bloggers. And your photographs are always quite wonderful.

Jo said...

LGS, I still can't open the video. :-(

Josie

Anonymous said...

lgs..thank you for your kind words, having great bloggers like you visit helps me a lot.
Our good mutual friend Stock City girl Evalinn tagged me with this as well so I will make it a co-schmoozer post.lol
I have another tag to do before I do this, then it'll be next.
Thanks again for your wonderful words about my blog.
tc

Jocelyn said...

At first, I was thinking, "A schmoozer? ME?" But after your explanation, I am more than flattered. Thank you, friend!

I'll pass it on here sometime in the next few weeks.

Jo said...

LGS, that video was hilarious. I want to work in that office. Thanks for sharing that!

Josie

Donnetta said...

Ah, the schmoozers! Well, I know Josie and her blog is warm and friendly and interesting. I don't know the others but will follow the links to check them out.
Donnetta

Claire said...

Hi Squirrel! Just jumped over here from Jocelyn's to schmooze a bit. First, I love squirrels! I even let them eat out of my bird feeders and I don't become angry at them for it like other humans do. I just add more seed.
Second, I read some of your past posts and really enjoyed your writing.

molly said...

Here's a chance for you to schmooze some more. I found a blog that posts a photo a day. Nothing strange about that, you say. BUT! Such marvellous photos! I was scrolling back through them, when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a picture of YOU!Go check it out at http://brookvilledailyphoto.blogspot.com.......

Cheryl said...

Schmoozing is an important part of life. I do it all day long in my job.

That video was fantastic! Thanks for putting that up.

Leslie: said...

That was a riot! What fun! Oh, by the way, one of your black relatives was schmoozing on my back yard fence the other day. I gotta get some peanuts and tempt him back - he was HOT!!! ;D

blackcrag said...

The video: and that was a work day... nice if you can get the money.

I'm not big on scmoozing. My blog has had roughly the same steady readers for a long time now. Occassionally someone new shows up, and I think I've lost a few due to my erratic posting lately.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

josie,
So! You confess to schmoozing! Shameless! You are thus sentenced to the award and indicting 5 co-schmoozers! I hope these "parties" are not an attempt to curry favor with the judge.

Good video, eh? I too want to work for that office. They happen to be recruiting......

hearts,
Your kind words are making me blush. Yours is quite the blog too. Enjoy the new leads to fellow schmoozers.

TC,
But of course, you have been double nominated. Not a surprise. Watch Out for the Cat! :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

jocelyn,
I too prefer to call it the Blogging Community Involvement Award but its also fun to call you names!!!!

donnetta,
You are an essential member of the schmooze gang at josie's. Hope you enjoy some of the other schmooze party hubs too.

Claire,
Pleased to meet you. Thanks for coming by. Everyone is welcome but she who feeds squirrels gets the red carpet! Thanks for the kind comments. Don't be a stranger in these parts.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

molly,
Thanks for the tip. Wasn't really me. You do realise I can't be everywhere all at once, don't you? Hahaha. But he is such a cheeky fella, isn't he? Thanks again, it is a great site.

cheryl,
But of course - a natural schmooze central. Unfortunately, I catch up on sleep when I am at getting my hair cut. I won't be surprised, odd photos are taken while my hair is being cut and are now circulating somewhere in the internet! Haha. glad you liked the video.

Leslie,
Thank you for kindness shown to my vast unwashed brethren. Ummm. What do you mean ..."he was HOT"! Inquiring squirrels want to know!

blackcrag,
Great place to work, no? They're hiring at the moment too.... so what do you think? Blogging doesn't have to be about schmoozing. It should primarily be for ourselves. It should be whatever we want it to be. I've been by your blog many times. You're right, being a bit more regular would help. I was in Ottawa for 3 years and love to be in contact with anyone from there.

Lorraine said...

Mmm Lone g., I'm touched. I am. But, you know, it's not me

Lorraine said...

Also, you need to know that my post today on Words and Stuff was thought of, way before I read your blog, Okay? LOL

MedStudentWife said...

Awesome video !!

Jo said...

LGS, I am tagged, memed and schmoozed out for a couple of days. I love this schmooze award, but I am going to wait until all the excitement dies down :-) before I tag some more folks.

BTW, Leslie has a pet squirrel, and she has taken some photos of it. I told her she has to post them for you to see.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

You're such a sweetie!!! (and I'm not just saying that to kiss you're furry derierre!)

My first blogging award. Thanks dear.

I will be back to see what I've missed around when I get back.

Take care Fuzzy one.
-P

CS said...

Three of these would be high on my own list but you got there first. ANd I found that out because I was here to see if you'd already been tagged. As you had, of course. Well, well-deserved!

Janice Thomson said...

You truly are a great schmoozer Lgs. I have had many a laugh coming here reading your marvelous humor, enjoying your forthright comments and reading your informative posts, so congratulations.
PS: there's a wee treat for you to view on my blog if you should drop by...

Open Grove Claudia said...

Hey! Congratulations! WHOOO HOOOO!! Love that song.... those people, er, need a life.

StayAtHomeKat said...

I admire you all that have the best of the knack of schmooze... so easily making many friends
(which I enjoy vicariously... your exchanges and sharing)

and I know that it takes both "work" and a knack to so easily make friends :-)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Lorraine,
The award is yours to do as you please but it is my genuine choice and opinion to give it to you. And cool on your post today. :)

msw,
Thanks. I think it is the best home made video yet.

Josie,
Schmooze at your leisure. Leslie has a squirrel? She'll soon discover that he's his own squirrel. Haha.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

proxima,
Your first blogging award? Hard to believe. :)

cs,
Was over at your place earlier too and saw that you had been tagged as well. This award and meme business could almost be studied as a model for spread of infectious diseases, couldn't it? Hahaha.

janice,
Thanks. I liked the wee treat. Thanks again.

claudia,
Thanks. Those people need a life? I was kind of thinking that I wouldn't mind their life! Looks like a fun place to work!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

kat,
Practice makes perfect even for schmoozing. Actually, I am not so slick with the words in person. Being introverted (really!), I tend to hunker down in a corner at parties when I can. Somehow though, both for my family and for work, I often have to play the role of the host and had to learn to schmooze to stay afloat. Practice. Practice. practice. Some have the knack. Not me.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin